"oh, it's an ENGL?" new song!

CJWall - Now I am forced to take a break here and go plug my Hellraiser into my PowerBall. Sometimes I forget how monstrous it can sound. :) Great track man, nicely done with everything. I think I'll bring my MobilePre from the house over here one of these days and try mic'ing up one of the 4x12's here to see if this sound can be achieved with it. The best use I've found for the pres in my MP are acoustic guitars and even vocals. Mic'ing up a real amp has been a pain in the arse with those pres so far, well moreso just not the sound I want I guess. Keep it up man!

~006

CJWall said:
yowz! this is the first thing I've recorded in almost 3 months and I just wanted to see what you guys thought of this newest bit I've whipped up called "Walking Over Your Sea" (oo oooooo, haha)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=464985

Still using the ENGL Fireball into the 1960a mic'ed with a single 57. Still using the M-Audio's stock pre's which I'm growing to dislike greatly...blah
Ah, almost forgot, I spent some more time on mic positioning and ended up uses a Boss GE-7 before hitting the amp for a clean boost.. cutting some of the lows and boosting just a bit at 800/1.6k.
I'd love to get a TS-9 and see what that does for me...

This song is a bit more stark and.. more atonal/simple almost than the last song I posted. Has a bit more of the noisey, ambient synth parts as well... Needs works but I seem to add something to it everytime I open the project.

The vocals are louder than I'd like, but I reallllly didn't feel like Exporting the same song again for the 1,001 time! :)

Drums are DFH1 with the Kick replaced almost 100% and the snare around 35%. Bass is the clean channel of my Fireball, the pitch-shifted in cubase down an octave :err:

Charlie :headbang:
nice work charlie. has a really cool vibe. i think the vox sound fine at the level they are at. if you ever want some real drums on something like that(or even that song) let me know, it would be fun to play some stuff like that. keep up the good work man.

CJWall said:
Mic position was about an inch away (left) from the center of the speaker, up against the grill.

Was it a top or bottom speaker? Slant cabs tend to differ pretty drastically in the response between the top and the bottom in my experience. If it was a top speaker, was your mic pointing directly into the speaker, or was it level with the floor?

006 said:
The best use I've found for the pres in my MP are acoustic guitars and even vocals. Mic'ing up a real amp has been a pain in the arse with those pres so far, well moreso just not the sound I want I guess. Keep it up man!

~006

i have found the same thing about the mobile pre. it sounds good on my acoustic and my vocals, but it doesn't quite work with an amp.

Disconnekt said:
Was it a top or bottom speaker? Slant cabs tend to differ pretty drastically in the response between the top and the bottom in my experience. If it was a top speaker, was your mic pointing directly into the speaker, or was it level with the floor?

cheers dude, it was on the top right speaker; angled accordingly to the slant of the cab so the mic was dead on w/the speaker.

I'd imagine the bottom speaker would be a bit more boomy in my space, but may be good if I had a wood floor..?

Charlie

Seizure. said:
Oh and bob, don;t know know if you still coming to that Oude RKZ gig this saterday, but could you perhaps do livesound for seizure?:)

Shit!.. just saw this, but i wont be there tomorrow duder, sorry! :cry:

I really liked the guitar sound.....it's huge!!!!Can I ask some questions....?

How many times did you play the guitar part.....
What kind a compression did you use....??

cheers again guys!

king - i played the guitar parts 4 times total, 2 on each side.

Moonlap - na, I'm just sticking to one reverb setting and I'm using the Arts Acoustic reverb which sounds quite nice. My usage is usually very subtle, with the snare and vox getting the most verb. I have some of the different noise/ambient tracks sent to the reverb as well in more extreme amounts.. just depends how certain things are sitting in the mix.

The only reason I may mess around with different types of 'verb for different elements would be for more of a spatial effect with the vocals or maybe a clean guitar.

Lee - its just an 808 kick sample pitchshifted and compressed all to hell

:headbang:
Charlie

Thanks for your reply CJ.......and what about the compression, did you use any?

Cheerzzz.....

Kingliar said:
Thanks for your reply CJ.......and what about the compression, did you use any?

Cheerzzz.....

on the guitars, no, only EQ.

Rick - I used the Sonic Timeworks Compressor, URS Fultec for EQ and Sonalksis SV-315 Compressor.

Cheers!