Engl Powerball clip, various different tones

Torniojaws

They call me Juha
May 15, 2005
Espoo, Finland
www.vortechmusic.com
Well, I put this piece together for another forum where someone was asking what the Powerball does:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/juhau/engl-jami.mp3

It's not a "finished" tone by any means, but more just a jam I did using different sounds I dialed in with the amp - no pedals or post-processing at all. Some of you might be interested, so why not ;) Here you go. Oh yeah, and the guitar was Schecter 007 Blackjack. I can't tell any specific amp settings, as I just dialed them on the fly in literally a few seconds, and then recorded the sound with a song in mind.

Yeah, and the guy had a list of stuff he likes so I recorded stuff from that list. Here's the stuff played:

In Flames - Episode 666
Slayer - Angel of Death
Iron Maiden - Where Eagles Dare
Metallica - The Thing
Helloween - I Want Out
Ozzy - Bark at the Moon
Deep Purple - Burn
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
Propellerheads - Spybreak!

then some clean jamming.

The very first tone for the In Flames section was the best one IMO. The rest were...no comment. I have a PowerBall as well, and I love the ranges of tones it can get, I'm glad you explained that you just quickly made a setting and then played, because when you actually put some effort into it, you can get some killer tones out of the PB, I know I do.

~006

I agree with 006. The "episode" riff sounded pretty coll, but then everything just went... well, you know...
I've tried a powerball in the studio and I know for a fact that it's capable of amazing tone!

because when you actually put some effort into it, you can get some killer tones out of the PB, I know I do.
I'm just happy with my own personal killer tone that I used in the In Flames riff ;) I personally have no use for "other tones", it's not my style, heh. I just write songs, I don't care to tweak just a little bit more for that elusive guitar tone ;)

The jack of all trades is the master of nothing, as you could say.

The problem is that adding gain makes them sound identical :p I guess the Powerball has a distinct own sound in that sense. Oh and some of the gain drops are intentional, to make them sound authentical compared to the originals (that was the main purpose of this experiment). They didn't have the modern oomph in guitar sounds 20-35 years ago ;)

SickBoy said:
Well, it sure has it's own distinctive color, but it seems to me you could've tweaked the EQ a bit more. ;)
I changed the amp EQ quite a bit for each clip. Channels too.

One funny thing is that cranking the gain on clean channel (channel 1) sounds the same as having gain low on the third channel :lol: There isn't the palm mute oomph in it, but straight notes sound the same.

Torniojaws said:
I've taken it off ages ago since it pretty much sucked :lol: I might remake it some day, with better quality.

DOH! Dude, it's just another reference point for those of us that don't have a chance to hear these in person anywhere near us. I don't it's as bad as you think given the feedback you got about it earlier in the thread. But if you don't feel comfortable sharing it again, that's cool.

Thanks,
Jeff