Engl Powerball Clips-Recording Advice

gibson5413

May 25, 2005
For some reason the original thread was deleted this morning. I am looking for some tone advice on the clip. A portion of the Dream Theater song In The Name Of God. Here is what I used:

Schecter Hellraiser-->Engl Powerball-->G-Flex 2x12-->Sennheiser e609-->M-Audio Mobile Pre USB-->computer. Here were the amp settings I used:

Channel 3 (Open)
Settings in o'clock
Gain- 11:00
Bass- 12:00
Mids- 1:00
Treble- 12:00
Presence- 2:00
Depth Punch- 2:00
Channel Vol- 9:00
Master Vol- 8:00

I recorded it dry into N-Track for both crunch tracks. Clean has a hint of chorus and delay. I have had a total of 4 hours of recording experience so I was hoping for some opinions/suggestions from the forum members. Is the tone missing anything. It is a larger file for two reasons:

1. Encoded at higher bitrate to keep the amp tone intact.
2. Recorded a few minutes of dead air that was not caught until after the mixdown. I recorded the clip in about 20 minutes.

Used You Send It since Digital Sound Planet now has restrictions on posting mp3 clips. I will rehost if requested.

http://s21.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=27HXGSFVKG5BG1K8JWIIO4LMXB

http://s21.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2ZQVM3MGNGDWR08IZUHZ8UTJAQ

What, are you guys still playing around with 56k modems?

The second clip was there. Sounds good. Sounds like an Engl. Really tight controled tone. But to my ears this kind of tone(same with Framus) is sterile and lacks character. Just my personal taste but its a great amp. Mesa is a bit more what I like. Got some dirt in there.

Colin

vile_ator said:
What, are you guys still playing around with 56k modems?

The second clip was there. Sounds good. Sounds like an Engl. Really tight controled tone. But to my ears this kind of tone(same with Framus) is sterile and lacks character. Just my personal taste but its a great amp. Mesa is a bit more what I like. Got some dirt in there.

Colin

Thanks for your comments. I am reposting the thread with a smaller file. I thought everyone was on broadband nowadays.:guh: