just got a job offer...shall I take it?

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
just got a call, been asked to teach guitar lessons at a music school here in my area...
I'd get relatively good money for just one day work per week (actually just half a day) , paid holidays...

that one day per week would almost pay my studio rent, so it's very tempting...

BUT I'd have to be there one day per week, on wfuch I couldn't record of course....

now I'm usually working 7 days per week in the recording phase.....if I took this job it'd mean that I'd have to tell the band that they have 1 day off per week....I don't like that idea, I got used to working 7 days per week (not that I'm enjoying it much, lol)....
do most producers who work with professional band record 7days/week? or is it rather common to give the band one day off? I mean..I'd feel kinda bad telling the band "recording takes 2 weeks with two days off"....
what do you think?

You need rest periods man, both you and the bands. Consecutive, long stretches in the studio mentally wear people out. Even just changing things up and teaching guitar for half a day as a break from tracking/editing/mixing can do wonders for your mental health.

I'd say do it. A little down-time from normal work is never a bad thing even if it's just to do another job. Like you said, you can almost pay studio rent with that one day per week so that's quite a bit of financial stress lifted, I would imagine anyway.

Do you think telling bands they can only record 6 days in a row as opposed to 7 will drive away any business?

this means even less free time for you. i hate the idea of 2 jobs , its always a compromise.
also giving lessons you will have to take time to prepare for them.... i did it in the past,
and imho its only worth it if you're in serious trouble (moneywise) and need every cent....
everyone needs rest. giving lessons is work.

You need rest periods man, both you and the bands. Consecutive, long stretches in the studio mentally wear people out. Even just changing things up and teaching guitar for half a day as a break from tracking/editing/mixing can do wonders for your mental health.

Not just mental health, a fresh perspective as well. Not that I own a studio or anything, but I would jump at your opportunity.

Do it! I don't think most bands expect 7 days a week anyway. I would welcome a day of rest.

I wouldn't be surprised if things get done quicker with that 1 day off. Working 7 days/week for a continuous amount of time sounds counter-productive to me.

Quoted for truth. Sounds like a good idea and opportunity Lasse.

Why not man?
7 days/week is anyway overkill, maybe its going to be a fresh breeze of air.
Also you can let it be if you figure out you dont like it.

there's nothing more or better to add to this

+ 1

do it Lasse

I've been giving guitar lessons for years, and it's a really great way to earn money. At least try it for awhile.