Just got back from PROGPOWER!

Jul 14, 2002
Stratford, CT
Visit site
I had a great time, met some cool people. Flew into some nasty weather, it cleared up the very next day. The weather from that point on was awesome.

I will be posting pics very very soon, I took over 100 band shots and need to sort.

Pain of Salvation was amazing ( of course ):headbang:

Jon Oliva debuted his PAIN material and did a bunch of old Savatage songs.

EDGUY was thier usual cheesy selves.

i live like 30-45 mins away from prog power and didn't go :p

I too have just returned from ProgPower. I met Dan there actually which was very cool.

Pain of Salvation - yes, they were amazing. I also purchased the new CD which I've finally decided on my 4th listen I do in fact like very much (its very weird stuff).

Wuthering Heights and Brainstorm. Brainstorm I'm not really a fan of but I thought they were pretty good live. Wuthering Heights was simply awful. Terrible terrible stuff. I thought at least they'd be funny fantasy metal guys in pirate shirts but there was only one real pirate shirt I saw and aside from the dwarf they had playing bass (ok so he's some swede who just happens to be short and fat but he WAS wearing a kilt and playing a tiny little bass). They weren't my cup of tea on CD and live they were just awful and painful to watch and listen to.

Also, Edguy was quite literally twice as gay as two years ago. If I see them again I'm going to make a big sign to hold up that says "What would Edguy be without the gays?" (which is something Tobias said last time they were at ProgPower) He seriously wouldn't shut up about how "we're not gay, really."

Speaking of gay, I saw this shirt for sale at ProgPower and I think its possibly the single funniest "metal" shirt ever.

rhapsodyshirt.jpg

Matt Lee said:
I

Also, Edguy was quite literally twice as gay as two years ago. If I see them again I'm going to make a big sign to hold up that says "What would Edguy be without the gays?" (which is something Tobias said last time they were at ProgPower) He seriously wouldn't shut up about how "we're not gay, really."

Speaking of gay, I saw this shirt for sale at ProgPower and I think its possibly the single funniest "metal" shirt ever.

rhapsodyshirt.jpg

hahahaha @ Edguy :worship:

this shirt is GAYER than Boy-George.... jesus!!!! o_O

Dan and Matt: welcome "home" you two ! Glad you had a good time :wave:

t'anks Karen.

Funny Edguy story...
My Brother and his friend went to see Tad Morose and Edguy in NYC.

Tad Morose was hanging at the bar during Edguy's set, Edguy was apparently playing some cheese ballad.
My Brother's friend Ted walks up to the singer for Tad Morose, points to the stage and says " Never do this "
The band all laughed.

Haha, nice story Dan. The singer from Tad Morose was pretty cool. He kept showing up at parties at the Fairfield Inn (which was THE party hotel this year, as Pain of Salvation kind of joked/complained about on stage). Also, Urban Breed is in fact his real name. He showed us his passport.

I noticed something wonderful and unique about "metal" parties in Atlanta (not that I've been to any other than at prog power really).

I was sitting in my hotel room with some people and was noticing I'm really really used to normal party noises being outside because of my apartment and the courtyard in the middle of all the other apartments, into which parties often spilll. But then I realized one thing different. At random intervals among the usual noises you will hear random metal wails. Its really kinda cool. Sure college parties you hear girly shrieks but that's just not the same. I'm going to miss the periodic non-syllabic metal "AAAAAAHhhhhhhh!" now, and to the shock and confusion of my roommates when I hear a party in the courtyard I may just have to open the door and give them one, then close the door again as if nothing happened :D As I told this to the people in my hotel room they suggested perhaps I do it in response to the girly shrieks, as sort of a mating call. If only that worked. :p

Tage Mahal by Jon Oliva's Pain IS the album of the year by far. Everyone needs to check it out.