Just got back from PROGPOWER!

hahah
pain is euro power metal, they bore me....there very good, but its the same patterns, after 3mins i am bored...
Skinlab_-_Bound,_Gagged_And_Blindfolded

Metalmilita2000 said:
Ok, the question that i ask myself is this... If that shirt is so gay, then why in the hell do you have a picture of it Matt? Did you take it to add to your spank bank or what? I just don't understand.

Brent

Because it is the funniest T-shirt I've ever seen. I almost collapsed laughing when I saw it just for sale. And then that guy wearing it was even funnier so I had to have a picture. At prog power the only things I take pictures of other than bands are those rare moments of priceless unintentional comedy, which usually are better caught on video anyway.

Matt Lee said:
Because it is the funniest T-shirt I've ever seen. I almost collapsed laughing when I saw it just for sale. And then that guy wearing it was even funnier so I had to have a picture. At prog power the only things I take pictures of other than bands are those rare moments of priceless unintentional comedy, which usually are better caught on video anyway.
whats even funnier, is that most metal fans would laugh at everyone who was at that show!

Its cool for metal fans to hate prog these days. Just like its cool for prog fans to hate Dream Theater. I just ignore the prog bashers (and DT bashers, Petrucci uber alles!). I like what I like and if they can't appreciate the sheer brilliance of some progressive music, then its their loss. There is some derivative uninspired prog out there these days, but every genre has a gradient from trite crap to a quality representation of what that kind of music is about. EVERY genre.

Plus I think the statement is just wrong. I think neal is forgetting that power metal fans are a huge part of the metal audience especially in europe, and they're certainly not laughing. How many times did Iced Earth or Blind Guardian headline Wacken? Helloween, Gamma Ray? Metal legends, the progenitors of POWER metal.

ProgPower is one of the best festivals going today in the US. They're bringing over bands that people want to see who haven't played in the US before (this is an estimate but I've probably seen over 15 bands' first US appearances at progpower). Its also an incredibly well run show.

I've been to Milwaukee Metalfest a few times, which was supposedly still being called one of the biggest metal festivals, and ProgPower is in an entirely different league than that thing. Its quality over quantity. Also, almost every single person I've met at ProgPower was a genuinely cool, decent person. So frankly, they can laugh, because we've got the best deal going this side of the Atlantic.

Matt, I make no apologies for supporting RHAPSODY, IMO they are the best band on the planet right now. Christopher Lee is doing some incredible voice-over work for the new album -- it's going to melt all of our faces off.

Still, I'm glad I could entertain you. I'm proud to be a metal geek!

I dunno if you caught my last post SwordLord but my point was kind of that there's good stuff in every genre. I joke about power metal but I like a lot of it myself. Some of it gets a little goofy, but then I even found things to make fun of on the new Pain of Salvation (who I more or less worship), so basically, nothing is sacred, but at the same time, its good to be open minded and not write-off an entire genre.

So basically I'm going to set my soapbox on fire now. :hotjump: