just got that awesome feeling..

Imaginarium

Winds of Creation
Mar 16, 2005
England, UK
..when you completely rediscover an album.

I hadn't listened to Train of Thought in months and months. when i first bought it i listened to it every day and i've always thought of it as awesome but lately it has been over shadowed by a lot of other things (namely SyX, Ayreon, Angra + other DT albums) but today i just felt in the mood for it and holy fuck im loving it so much.

i know it has its critics and i know it has a very different feel to their earlier work but if they can pull it off this well then surely thats a great thing? the songs are so damn GROOVY and the solos tear actual chunks out of my face. i love the fact it's kinda heavy in parts but they still manage to make me shiver with those melodies that only DT can produce (see In The Name Of God chorus). Before hand I had just listened to Ayreon - The Human Equation and although I adore that album I think that James Labrie sounds 50% better on Train Of Thought. Huge thumbs up to his vocals.

This album rocks :p :headbang:

Insert endless posts that bash Dream Theater because Symphony X are t3h gr8st band ev4hr!!!11 below this line:

:p

Actually, ToT is pretty good. I think LaBrie's best vocals are on Awake, but I do like this album.

while Symphony X are still the greatest band ever, if the chorus of "In The Name Of God" doesn't make you shiver, there could be something wrong with you, like, lack of vitamin E or some sort of iron deficiency.

I feel the same way, in fact one of my favorite songs on TOT right now is honor thy father and I used to think it was the worst song ever(James' "rythmic shouting"). I was going to make a thread about this also but I thought the only one that would agree with me would be metropolis :D .

btw: I have been having a dream theater month, so thats why I have seemed so pro dt lately. Trust me next month Its probably going to be SX again.

Honor Thy Father has some pretty sweet moments in it. The drumming in the intro is great, and the keyboard interlude is easily one of my favorite moments of the album.

ToT could have been ranked among their best albums if they had taken a little time to trim off the excess stuff and perfect it a bit. As it stands, it's still a great album with a lot of really great moments, just not *quite* up to par with their other work.

wayne the goblin/robot said:
(James' "rythmic shouting").

For some reason I actually enjoy that. In some weird way, it sounds like Eminem without the cursing every other word.

Liquid Shadow said:
Honor Thy Father has some pretty sweet moments in it. The drumming in the intro is great, and the keyboard interlude is easily one of my favorite moments of the album.

ToT could have been ranked among their best albums if they had taken a little time to trim off the excess stuff and perfect it a bit. As it stands, it's still a great album with a lot of really great moments, just not *quite* up to par with their other work.

Agreed. As much as I like TOT, I just found it a bit on the "bland" spot. It seriously coulda been better if they spend a bit more time on it.