Train of Thought

Divine X

New Metal Member
Dec 8, 2003
Anyone else here think that Dream Theater's latest studio album, Train of Thought, it a massive piece of shit? I have faith in the fact that Symphony X won't put out a new album that sucks as much as Train of Thought.

I haven't been listening to it very much, so I can't really say. But yes it's not very enjoyable to listen to, but sure has some good moments too.

I have to say I enjoy Train of Thought immensely. It's a dream come true for me, straight up heavy metal done by my favorite band, it can't get much more awesome for me. The solos are so mindless that I can't help but worship the man Petrucci more. :worship:

It's definitely not their best work, but I think it's a great listen IMO. Solid songs, ludicrous speeds, and Labrie screams like an animal. I can see how, related to other DT albums, this is a piece of shit. But I still think it's awesome in it's own right. :headbang:

I didn't think I was gonna like this album, but I ended up enjoying it. There's some great riffs, and I think Labrie sings well on it. The only two things that piss me off about the album is the rapping (quite lame indeed) and the "mindless" guitar shredfests. Now, there is no question that Petrucci is amazing, but his solos have no feeling, no thought was put into them. They're meaningless, other than to showboat. But anyway, I still enjoy it overall.

Yes, Petrucci went too nuts on this one, we KNOW he has good technique, he doesn`t have to show it in every song!!!
But i like the album failrly well, although live ALL of the song rock A LOT more!

While it´s not their most objectively great album, I enjoy the hell out of it. Feels good to tell the old proghead to shut the fuck up and rock away. (Sounds cliché, I know. ;)) "Endless Sacrifice" is pure gold live, believe. Just heard it yesterday. :worship:

I'm still looking forward to hearing the TOT material live despite my numerous problems with the album. As far as songs not justifying their length, I have to say This Dying Soul and Honor Thy Father are at least three minutes too long, and even though I think it's very good, In The Name Of God also seems a bit padded.

I like the album.

My favorite songs are This Dying Soul and In The Name Of God, but I think the outros of both songs drag on for too long.

I like Honor Thy Father, but it's also too long. And I like the "rapping" part!

Ah, it's DT bashing time again. I must say, I'm very impressed by the album. I like it very much. After 6DOIT I wasn't really holding my breath but I'm digging the hell out of it. And wait untill you hear it live and see the show. Unbelievable!
And can we cut the 'Nu-Metal' Crap? it has nothing to do with Nu Metal :OMG:

Hi!

Well, I have to admit that I don`t listen to TOT as much as to other DT Cds. Still I like their approach of going back to basic, by producing a more "evil" kick-ass album. Some of the songs do seem a bit too long, like "As I Am", which has much unneeded repititions, from my point of view, and I miss a bit of those "eternal moments", they created on their preceeding pieces. But in the end, hey, they did something new and not too bad. Maybe they try not to be forced into a single musical corner by fans, who expect a repitition of Awake or Metropolis Pt. II with every CD. Meaning no offense, it's just my point of view.

Kounter (Point) Kosh

I don't really understand why everyone has something to say about Dream Theater. I have the album images and words and I don't really like it. Symphony X has been my favorite quite a long time! This symphonic stuff is for me!