Train of Thought

This is my opinion, people always tend to compare any new albums out with some other old alumbs, i believe this has been said earlier but ill just say it again, eg. Dreamtheater : images and words. Symphon X : divine wings.

Your whole pereception will change once you take the album as an item by itself and not something you expect to be similar to another album. Hey its prog metal, you cant expect everything to be similiar all the time. This is what makes both bands great and they will last forever unlike pop Sh!t like...*cough* brit *cough* ney *cough*
10 years down the road, who will be remembered more?

i think train of thoughts is a pretty cool album!
although compare to Images And Words, Awake and A Change Of Seasons
it isn't such masterpiece
i think it's much better then Falling Into Infinity which i really didn't like and
of course much better then Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence which is a piece of shit!

adam123 said:
i think train of thoughts is a pretty cool album!
although compare to Images And Words, Awake and A Change Of Seasons
it isn't such masterpiece
i think it's much better then Falling Into Infinity which i really didn't like and
of course much better then Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence which is a piece of shit!

SDOIT is a killer album, I really like it, The Great Debate is just :loco: really heavy!

Alright, so I like ToT, but I tend to more favour prog stuff more along the lines of The Odyssey and A Night At the Opera. More keyboard solos =) What else can you recommend for Dream Theater?

JHawk said:
Alright, so I like ToT, but I tend to more favour prog stuff more along the lines of The Odyssey and A Night At the Opera. More keyboard solos =) What else can you recommend for Dream Theater?

If you favour prog stuff along the lines of The Odyssey, you gotta hear A change of seasons then, its a 20 minute + song. And also, metrepolis part 2 scenes from a memoryits an album,do check it out.

I'm a huge Dt fan and have been since I started listening to metal; although I prefer earlier works, such as IAW, I don't think ToT is that terrible... I quite liked "in the name of God" and since I saw DT live a the 5th of feb, I like the rest much more.

cheers :headbang:

Definitely listen to a change in seasons, it's one of my favorite songs. Labrie seems to sing a lot better on that song than most others. As for TOT, I think it is a pretty solid album. I think it's cool that they just put out a straight metal album like that, and to be honest I wouldn't mind seeing symphony x put out an album like that, because I have a feeling it would turn out better than TOT.

Yeah, the rapping thing kinda threw me off. Had to make sure I had the right CD in..

..oh, and thanks for the CD suggestions, once I get some more money, I'll pick them up.

I thought it was good, but definitely not their best. It is decidedly heavier than their previous releases. John used the new Mesa RoadKing on this one almost exclusively, as opposed to his more prevalent MKIIC+ tone. I still think I&W or Awake is better overall.

Wizard of Ozz said:
I still think I&W or Awake is better overall.
Of course. In my opinion, anybody who wouldn´t agree to you would be thoroughly wrong. "Images and Words" and "Awake" stand alone as the epitomes and definite masterpieces of 90s Prog Metal, maybe even all of Prog Metal. "Train of Thought", as good and entertaining as it is, just never reaches that level of perfection. The instrumental wankery, although highly impressive and spectacular, seems out of place sometimes and also distracts from the context of the song (like in "In the Name of God").
Don´t get me wrong, I really enjoy TOT, but more like I enjoy a highly technical Metal album than a Prog milestone.

TOT is definitely not my cup of tea. My tastes go more to prog and less to metal, and this album is pretty-much all metal. Endless, pointless shredding goes on way too long. Metal lovers obviously like it. Would not be on the bottom of my DT list, though. That spot goes to Awake. I can't stand it when James screams, and that's almost all he does on that one. It's like nails on a chalk-board. Has some good moments though, like Erotomania and 6:00, but I can't stomach the rest of it.

NegativeVolume said:
I see you at the JP forums a lot posting, I"m on the name Lella there. Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the new DT albums that they did do in their previous? Well..besides tasty solos. Did you not like 6DOIT also? Thanx :)
Sorry I missed this question! No, I didn't enjoy 6doit either, but I think ToT is a better album than that (they both made their way to ebay though and found a better home).

I guess I'm not as metal as DT are. I think my ears are also tired of all those low B and C notes.

I don't hear the finesse and attention to detail that comes from writing and reworking songs over time rather than slapping them together in a few weeks. It almost seems like DT has become a side project of it's former self when less regard is given for time to work it's magic on the tunes. The lyrics and vocal melodies are what seem to suffer the most with that approach. The phrasing of the vocal lines seem awkward because they haven't had time to grow, and they don't have a timelessness that some of DT's better thought out tunes.

I guess that's the only way I describe why it's not floating my boat. I still have great respect for them and their accomplishments and I wouldn't say never when it comes to checking out where they go from here.