Just had a session with vocalist

ahjteam

Anssi Tenhunen
Where should I start... Well, I'll start by saying that the guy was a rapper and I listened to the preview of his previous songs from iTunes, and my jaw just dropped, for a reason. It was so bad.

We had 4 hours booked, from which about 1 hour took for setup, tear down, bounces and backups. He was optimistic and brought in 5 beat tracks to sing in those 3 hours and he wanted it to sound pro. The beats weren't half bad, but he didn't make them tho.

We started with that song that he told that he is only singing the chorus for the song, which was fine by me. The guy was a rapper, but he was ordered to sing a melodic line for a song. But he was as multidimensional singer as Steven Seagals face. His entire vocal range was THREE(3) notes; A#, B and C#. But the most amazing thing is, that he actually stayed in pitch with them. Since we didn't have much time for fine tuning, so I just forced him to sing instead of auto tuning him. We tried it quickly, but since he didn't know the keys of the songs, we gave it up after like 10 minutes because we were short on time.

Then at some point he calls his producer who made the beat and the producer said to sing it more agressively (or as he put it "more hyped"). Okay, I was cool with that. I asked him to sing it more agressively and with more emotion. He sang it EXACTLY THE SAME WAY as before. Seventeen times. Well, we added a few emphasis tracks and after that he called the producer again, and he wasn't satisfied but wanted it to be more mellow (or has he put it "harmonized").

Well, I tried to guide him that if he wants to sing it in harmonies, he should sing it a third or fifth above the original pitch and sang him an example. Well, he sang it the first time from the same pitch as the original for reference, then I said, sing it higher. He constantly sang it EXACTLY AT THE SAME PITCH as previously, only louder. I repeated to say "higher" about 15 times, then I gave up. He just didn't have the range for it or then he just was tone deaf.

Well, after we had wasted like about 65% of the time to do the one chorus, I did the thing what a good professional engineer would do; Rather make 2 songs sound good than make 5 sound like absolute horseshit. We did his verse for the next song, which was more in his territory and we got it done in about 45 minutes.

Even though I had so bad preconseption about the session, I decided to still be pro. We did a quick mic shootout between mics and then after we both had decided the best mic, we proceeded to setup the chain for the vocals. The final chain was Neumann U87 to Avalon preamp to Distressor, and it sounded pretty good for a 7500€ signalchain. I only added a bit of reverb and chorus to the vocals ITB.

Now I'm at a bar.

Haha dude this is mental. Are you having to finishcoff the other tracks as well ?

Yeah, I tend to notice as I'm playing guitar, then when I play the high E string, it just sounds like a louder version of the low E string.

then I said, sing it higher. He constantly sang it EXACTLY AT THE SAME PITCH as previously, only louder. I repeated to say "higher" about 15 times, then I gave up. He just didn't have the range for it or then he just was tone deaf.

Maybe your accent was fuckin him up ... might just entirely be your fault :p

There's nothing worse than trying to understand people that have their own terminology for things, such as "more harmonized" instead of mellow. They need to understand that if their adopted terms have real world counterparts with vastly different definitions it's going to fuck a brotha up. Not to mention they're going to look really stupid.

What I don't get is if his producer wanted it a certain way why didn't he do it? He could have at least rented the studio if his gear wasn't good enough

What I don't get is if his producer wanted it a certain way why didn't he do it?

I think they're using the term 'producer' pretty loosely here. If the dude was even a quarter of a producer, he wouldn't have a tone deaf moron who doesn't know what a harmony is trying to sing a harmony.

I think they're using the term 'producer' pretty loosely here. If the dude was even a quarter of a producer, he wouldn't have a tone deaf moron who doesn't know what a harmony is trying to sing a harmony.

I agree. From what we read, it seems more like an "executive" producer than a musical producer in any way. Executive as in says silly words to motivate the musician, gains profit

I understand your frustration. Recently I recorded a bass player who basically didn't know the song he was playing (funny thing is how he told me "we've been playing these songs for years now"). He didn't even know the notes on the bass, so I sang them for him. He couldn't find them. So I took the bass and showed him how to play the part (keep in mind I learned the riff by ear in a couple of seconds, so it couldn't be that hard). I gave him the bass back and he STILL COULDN'T PLAY THE PART.

Musicians today...

Proggm said:
I understand your frustration. Recently I recorded a bass player who basically didn't know the song he was playing (funny thing is how he told me "we've been playing these songs for years now"). He didn't even know the notes on the bass, so I sang them for him. He couldn't find them. So I took the bass and showed him how to play the part (keep in mind I learned the riff by ear in a couple of seconds, so it couldn't be that hard). I gave him the bass back and he STILL COULDN'T PLAY THE PART.

Musicians today...

Things like that make me wish that people should pass a test and have a "musicians license" just like a driver's license before they are allowed to approach a studio, live venue or be in a band altogether. People would be so much better if that was true

Musicians today...

Hey, we got a bass player to help us record one of our shittiest simplest songs.. this is how it went:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/876568/solobass.mp3
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/876568/solobass2.mp3

Those took about 5-10 takes.. i had hoped to get one line right at least, so that i could copy paste through everything and then do some editing to make it sound "alive", but i gave up instead. :lol:
Oh, the crackling and the hum is because of that his bass had bad electronics, which we of course didn't get to know before he showed up. :erk: