Bad day in the studio: FUCKKKKKKKKKK

My rule: charge by hour for tracking, charge by package (demo, single, ep, album) for mixing and/or mastering.

Thats how I do it as well and it has worked well so far.

I just got completely stood up for the first time today. The band never showed and never called and hasn't replied to me trying to get in contact with them. I was going to charge them for the time I had to sit and wait today when they booked another day, but fuck 'em, i dont want to deal with their shit anymore, so its on to the next job.

I charge by hour, and I can't imagine doing it any other way.

I have bands put down a down-payment before we start for the first tracking session also, that way, should they not show, I still get paid for them wasting my time. I have only only had this happen twice and both times, the bands ended up coming back to track the next scheduled day so no bad situations really....

If you don't value your time, nobody will - I was afraid of coming across as an arrogant jerk in my tutoring side-business-thing, but it wound up being more professional- and experienced-sounding.

Jeff

wow. fuck THAT shit. i would charge by the hour dude. times are tough, and your time is valuable. sounds like more of a wake up call.

charging by the hour will force your artists to get their act together and at least if a situation like this ever happens again you can at least sit back and know you are getting paid for your additional troubles.

+2 for Kevin's non ethnic sounding name and his good will :)

good luck!

Haha I hear ya, dude. I also had some funny problems. For Example the sound of ringing & rattle Lip piercings on the vocal track..hahaha we deceided then, to keep it..because it was kind of unique. I also had lot of problems with some divas..(often the real good musicians are totaly cool and respectful) I hate people, who think, they are important.

Yeah you get all kinds in the studio.

At the moment I'm doing a full length with a bunch of really cool guys, but quite inexperienced in the studio. Been working with the drummer and we are only about 3 and a half songs down in 3 days. They originally only wanted to book a weekend to do the drum takes, but now it's been extended to 5 straight days and there's still doubts as to whether we can pull of something that I can edit into shape later.

The very best sessions are where everyone is prepared, you hit 'record' and the magic just happens there in front of you. You spend the spare time getting creative and not comping between a million different takes where the same parts have been messed up...

What can you do, it's all part of the job. It can be immensely astonishing and rewarding, but also insanely stressful.

Maybe you should do what we did with my singer. We pitch shifted his voice up 2 octaves and gave him the song after we'd finished with it hahaha. He's a tard though.

Feel sorry for you bro i can't stand sloppy bands that expect you to fix everything

I recorded a band this weekend, first time getting paid aswell :D, the band though urgh nice enough guys but the drummer was pretty crap, managed to get an ok take out of him after 50 takes, jus curious how much do you guys charge by the hour?