Just picked up a DBX 160 xt...

melovine

Feb 10, 2009
Any general pointers? What does this comp excel at? What is it not so good at? I've heard clashing opinions as to whether this is a fast or slow comp, can anyone who has experience with this unit clarify some of my questions for me? Thanks!

I got a 160X (should be really similiar). Great tracking comp for Bass and Vox. Also good on Kick with an EQ following adding some Low End back in.

I've noticed it pulls some low end out of the kick is that a common trait of out board compressors (this is my first one) or unique to the 160? Also If I'm tracking bass through a di would a place the dbx before the di?

I've got a 160X, it's great for lots of stuff, adding snap to drums (I love it on snare!) or bringing out the attack on bass is what I find it excels at. It's also a decently transparent compressor for tracking vocals.

As mentioned it does have a tendency to reduce the low end a bit, it's just a side affect of the DBX style of compression, nothing you can't add back with some eq.

To be honest it's such a simple compressor that it will take you zero time to figure it out, there's only 3 knobs!

Your signal chain would be Mic/Instrument>DI>Preamp>DBX>Interface

Thank you very much that gives me a good idea of what to expect out of the 160. Do you usually leave the over easy option engaged or does it depend on the source?

snaaaaaaaaaare......

It's got a pretty slow attack time so it's good for keeping things pucnhy. It can be good to use with other compressors on vocals and bass. Maybe throw a faster one on to shave off a bit of the quicker peaks, then smooth it out with the dbx

It feels like without the over easy engaged the volume has quite a volume boost. Is this typical in hard knee vs soft knee scenarios?