Just Played a 5150 III

Sep 16, 2004
www.whereshewept.com
Went to my local music store and my buddy tells me they just got the new 5150 III in. (i have a pic but from my cell but i'm waiting for the email to get to me, i'll post it when i get it.) $2000usd for the head and $1500 for the cab.

Details:
No master volume, No Reverb ( i hate this setup myself)
All 3 channels have Gain, Bass, Mid, Treble. with 3 presence controls by themselves on the far right. power and standby are on the back :puke:
and the speaker jack on the cab is at the bottom (???) which seems silly because you need a lot longer speaker cable than normal.

I started with all the eq's at 1/2 and tweeked from there.

Ch1 had a really nice pristine clean sound with enough gain to get a good bluesy tone. very nice, not muddy at all. (sparkle-y comes to mind)

Ch2 was my favorite though it didn't have enough gain for metal. (IMO if you hit it with a pedal for more gain it it might be godly.) to my ears it had some Boogie-ish upper mids that i liked. it was still very a little too clean for me even with the gain all the way up.

Ch3 was definately a Marshall based tone, lots of gain. kind of boomy though, i had to turn the bass down to 2-3 ish to get rid of the "woofiness". i was playing an set neck, mahgany bodied Ibanez in standard!

On another note the store has sold 3 of the EVH guitars (at $25,000 a peice!). i was told that one of the buyers played the axe thru the 5150 III and it sounded just like the early VH stuff.

So that my report.

later

On another note the store has sold 3 of the EVH guitars (at $25,000 a peice!). i was told that one of the buyers played the axe thru the 5150 III and it sounded just like the early VH stuff.

For that much, you could fly to Warmoth's headquaters, personally pick out the pieces, stay at the Ritz while your guitar is being built, cure AIDS, and still have some extra cash for booze.