just saw deftones live

aramism

Dec 2, 2006
New York, NY
www.myspace.com
okkkkkkkayy it's like we all try to get mixes sounding great and drums to sound awesome etc. etc.

after what i just saw i kind thought to myself "(duh) oh. that's why deftones drums sound so awesome."

in other words: holy shit. abe cunningham knows how to hit drums. the whole band in general knows how to play. chino wasn't great but the band was insane!!! not to mention the venue (best buy theater in nyc) had the best sound i've heard i think. the sound guy was awesome. only msg have i heard more clearer and punchier live sound where there is super tight bass that rocks your balls and everything is pretty clear. guitars were very tight and clear and drums sounded unreal.

Yeah that's why his recorded drums always sound so good. I have tickets to the LA show. SO STOKED.

also the deftones sound superb because they play stuff they actually CAN play, not like most young bands.
but chinos voice isnt that great anymore, still this band rocks.

i mean when carpenter comes up on stage, i instantly start headbanging before he starts playing ;-)

A few days ago I had a bunch of raging drunk kids pull up next to me at the gas station and asked if I wanted to go, they had an extra ticket, to Deftones in NJ. I was on my way to track guitars and turned it down. I saw them probably 8 - 10 years ago when they were on tour with Godsmack, and honestly they kind of sucked. Glad to hear they are sounding better.

Deftones are probably playing better right now than they have in nearly 10 years. I'd seen them twice before in the White Pony & S/T album tours and both shows were progressively meh. During Chino's fatass period there wasn't any point watching them as they looked like they just couldn't be bothered and his voice was shot to hell. But at Hellfest last year they were absolutly on fire.

Saw them in paris a few months ago.

Stunning, period.

Even Chino's voice was awesome

The new bass player is a fucking monster ( his backing vox just RULED)

Not to mention Abe and Carpenter, geniuses :D

yeah i saw deftones a loong time ago like 9 years ago or so i forgot and it was meh at best.

last night was like being inside an erupting volcano. i've seen tons and tons of drummers play in my life and been to hundreds of concerts seen pretty much most of my fav bands in all genres, and i've never seen anyone play drums with that much fire. that was bonahm-esque. the crammed hallways exiting the concert thats all everyone was saying, "yo that drummer was sick" was a common statement heard.

the bass player was awesome also, dead on and super locked in with the drums. and carpenter was super tight and had huge tone.

nice videos! sounds huge, chino sounds really good, ive seen them twice within the last 1 1/2 years chino has been much better than when i first saw them like 5 years ago. cant wait for june 15! im gonna see them!

I haven't seen them recently but based on the few times I have seen them I would say they are one of the worst live bands. This is probably due more to Chino's performance than anything else and one of the times I saw them was when he was fresh back after having to miss a few dates due to throat problems so I can't really blame him for that. Also, keep in mind that Deftones is my all-time favorite band and I would gladly sit through several shitty Deftones shows and be completely happy. I've seen several bands that sound completely amazing while you are there but after hearing a recording from the same show it sounds like shit. I call it the "Holy shit these guys are awesome while I'm caught up in the moment of being here but I bet it wouldn't sound good on a recording" effect, haha.

I haven't seen them recently but based on the few times I have seen them I would say they are one of the worst live bands. This is probably due more to Chino's performance than anything else and one of the times I saw them was when he was fresh back after having to miss a few dates due to throat problems so I can't really blame him for that. Also, keep in mind that Deftones is my all-time favorite band and I would gladly sit through several shitty Deftones shows and be completely happy. I've seen several bands that sound completely amazing while you are there but after hearing a recording from the same show it sounds like shit. I call it the "Holy shit these guys are awesome while I'm caught up in the moment of being here but I bet it wouldn't sound good on a recording" effect, haha.

as mentioned by pretty much everybody on this thread, they are currently one of the best live acts there is, and yes they used to suck live, so if they're your favorite band I suggest to see them next time you have the chance

as mentioned by pretty much everybody on this thread, they are currently one of the best live acts there is, and yes they used to suck live, so if they're your favorite band I suggest to see them next time you have the chance

Yep. I saw them recently too. I was blown away by how much they've improved as a live act.