Just saw O/D Saxon

hairyboglin

New Metal Member
Oct 9, 2002
Visit site
As a very long standing Saxon fan, from Scotland, who caught the full set from OD Saxon supporting Dio on Monday night in Glasgow, I would like to make a few points...

1) OD Saxon went down very well with the audience - however, I think most of them thought it WAS Saxon. They genuinely got a fantastic reception and a huge reponse at the end of the set.

2) The vocalist was dire. However, the rest of the band were good - the sound was excellent and they did the classics, hence the audience loved it.

3) They had a pathetic home made banner on a speaker stack which read; 'SAXON - the eagle is back FOREVER'.

4) I enjoyed hearing the classics again - I've always liked Graham and Dobby. However, it certainly wasn't Saxon. It was certainly tinged with sadness.

5) The audience response proved what I've always said - there's an audience up here for Saxon. The last time I saw SAXON was in 1995 on the 'Dogs' tour. It's ridiculous that they haven't been to Glasgow since 1993 (or was it '94 ?). Crazy. People lose touch with bands they can't see live. I am dying to see Saxon again. I've been a stawlwart for almost 25 years. GET BACK UP HERE SAXON.

6) Surely, despite all the legal stuff from the past few years, Biff and O/D can come to an agreement ? After all, O/D Saxon are CERTAINLY passing themselves off as Saxon. They said as much on Monday night. The Billy Idol rip-off frontman was a total dick. I would hate people to think that Saxon are a pub band simply churning out the old songs in the occasional support slot to a big name. Please, someone, get it sorted out. I feel that Saxon are on the verge of a fairly big UK comeback - this mess will stop anything like that in its tracks. It is tawdry.

It's fucking disgusting that these guys are passing themselves off as Saxon. And what the fuck was Dio management thinking? Don't they have a fucking clue? Why hasn't saxon management done something to stop this BULLSHIT?

Thanks for that hairyboglin, that was very enlightening. There is no doubt that O/D are trying to pass themselves off as the genuine Saxon. But did they actually try and give the impression that there is one Saxon and they are it? But whatever they did or didn't say, they are trying to mislead people. There is no doubt that the crowd at the Astoria, and it seems in Glasgow too, think they were watching the proper Saxon. And that is not on.

I am going to write to Classic Rock and try and put the record straight. Hopefully they will print my letter.

Vince - Get the lads up to Glasgow!

I'm not gonna ask what a hairyboglin is! :lol:

Originally posted by Twisted Tony
It's fucking disgusting that these guys are passing themselves off as Saxon. And what the fuck was Dio management thinking? Don't they have a fucking clue? Why hasn't saxon management done something to stop this BULLSHIT?

Just in case you didn't know Tony, Graham Oliver and Dobby Dawson took Saxon to court over the name(so I believe). They won the right to use the name Oliver/Dawson Saxon which they generally are.
The main problem arises though with promoters. As we all know most of them are just in it to earn a few bob as quickly as possible, so if they can book the no doubt cheeper O/D Saxon, and promote it as Saxon they can earn more money. I have spoken to lots of people who, as they have no access to the internet, have had no idea whether or not they are going to see the real Saxon. Many who I have spoken to have felt ripped off by the whole thing after seeing the O/D Saxon.
I genuinely do have great respect for Olly and Dobby as they were a huge part of my favourite band, but I feel pissed off by the fact that they are, (diliberatly or otherwise), missleading Saxon fans. If they just used the name Son of a Bitch it would avoid a lot of unessassry confusion and I'd even be happy to go along and see them, where at present they can Fuck off!
A Saxon without Biff just isn't Saxon, and Dougie and Nibbs are better anyway! :D

SAw them last night in Portsmouth and musically i was impressed-but the singer was awful-terrible voice.....they did go down well though but it makes me think how much more they would have enjoyed the real Saxon.

The singer announced them as the other Saxon and yeah that crappy banner looked cheesy!

Was good to see Graham come out and play guitar on Rainbow In The Dark