Just saw Testament and....

carnut

\m/
Apr 29, 2004
Helgium
Hehe, another "just saw" story today...
Just saw Testament and another great show !!
In the beginning the sound wasn't balanced well, too little guitars, too much vocals. But as the set went on sound improved!
Testament is touring now with an almost original line-up, so that's pretty cool. I keep my opinion Chuck Billy isn't the best singer around, but generally it was okay. Alex Skolnick suprised me, he turned out to be a real guitar hero, some great solo-ing tonight, he brings some "hardrock" feeling into the Testament thrash !! The old songs still stand as rocks... Alone in the Dark, Into the Pit, ... When they played "Over the Wall" everyone was invited on stage, wich gave some strange views like crowdsurfers on stage !! The gig was sold out again, another proof Thrash is still very popular here (Sacred Reich also sold out some gigs a few weeks ago). The public again was very good, alot of headbanging, heavy pit and alot of singing along.
Now, gotta check out wich gig is next up...unfortunatly can't join Hawk at the Nevermore gig next weekend, work calls :cry:

When I find some pics, movies or stuff of this gig I'll post it :kickass:

I keep my opinion Chuck Billy isn't the best singer around, but generally it was okay. Alex Skolnick suprised me, he turned out to be a real guitar hero, some great solo-ing tonight,

He may be not Gillan or Dio but the guy has a voice that fits perfectly for Testament music IMO, both old and new. As for Skolnick, the guy is great so I wouldn't have expected less than hyper-quality.

Very envious you can saw them live but glad for you buddy.

NP: Nightscape - 'Higher Than Life'

Hmm, I saw Testament at the Waldrock festival and was very disappointed by their performance.

I wrote a very critical review for the Lord of Metal webzine which will be published there in the first days of September in English and Duch.

www.lordsofmetal.nl

Some people there also told about a weak performance a month or so ago (another gig in Belgium) . But all agreed this was much better. A much longer and more powerful gig. If I'm correct you told me Testament was quit "static" at Waldrock. Yesterday they were not static at all, lots of moving around and headbangin ' !!

Some people there also told about a weak performance a month or so ago (another gig in Belgium) . But all agreed this was much better. A much longer and more powerful gig. If I'm correct you told me Testament was quit "static" at Waldrock. Yesterday they were not static at all, lots of moving around and headbangin ' !!

Thats great to hear. :)

Damn Carnut, I should've gotten in touch with you beforehand... we were at the Antwerp show too!! Bummer I didn't see you :(

Because Nico (cheaply) sold his original video tape of the legendary 1987 Dynamo Club gig (their first European gig) to them via merchandiser Walter (they want to use it for some DVD I think), Walter invited us to the show and took good care of us. Because we've been so busy with other stuff, we didn't plan on going, but with the invitation we changed our minds :) Nico managed to change shifts at work, Walter put us on the guestlist (incl. photopas for Nico) and took us to the bus and backstage until he introduced us to all the members, telling them all how Nico sold his tape for only 30 bucks and a couple of t-shirts, guess these guys are used to bigger numbers haha! It was fun seeing them all and taking pics, although it was a bit weird since I already met all these guys (and partied with them) except Nick Barker, back in 1987 but of course they didn't remember :lol: That club show is still my #1 favorite show, btw! We also met some friends and ran into Dutch metal icons :p like Jack from Scum and Angel, which is always nice in the light of our pending emigration... :kickass:

As for the show, I loved it!! I can't believe how exciting and great it was to see Skolnick back up there again! His sound is so unique. Funny I noticed that, cause usually I care more for the riffs and songs than the solos, so I don't pay so much attention to that. But Alex just stands out I guess. I loved everything about the show as usual (I'm surprised to see there apparently were lesser shows in the recent past) and oh hell, Over The Wall with the invitation to come on stage will ALWAYS be the highlight of their shows :headbang:

Nevermore: I hope to be able to go tonight! Nico didn't want to, has to work tomorrow, but I still hope to convince him ;) If it's not sold out that is, because we didn't arrange anything else..

Damn Carnut, I should've gotten in touch with you beforehand... we were at the Antwerp show too!! Bummer I didn't see you :(

Mmmm, hard to miss you guys ... there's allways ProgPower, guess you will be there? Want to say a big bye before you and Nico leave to Canada (still on ??).

Nico's 80's video's are legendary, got quit a bunch of them now :lol:
Didn't he tape Handicapt (or how was it spelled?) by accident ??

yes, Nico passed the Registered Nurse exam and the Canadian employer is working on the job offer right now :)
PP will be our goodbye party :kickass: :headbang: and we hope to be able to leave in December or January!

Yeah Nico did tape quite a few legendary gigs (yeah Handicapt too, though he's not sure he still has that), most known one must be Slayer '85 at the Dynamo :worship: