Kalmah? Repetetive?

kalmah42090

Jul 12, 2007
Florida
www.myspace.com
One of the main reason's I fell in love with Kalmah is the fact that all of their songs are extremely different, and each one has a unique element that makes it it's own.

I have a friend who is into alot of metal, and I showed him Kalmah. The only thing he had to say was the he liked Bodom better(even though he thinks they suck too), because Kalmah was repetetive and relied on melody's WAY too much. He said that he listened to Swampsong all the way through and that it sounded the same through all of it, and that, well BLEW ME AWAY!! I extremely respect his opinion in music, but I really dont' understand where he is coming from on this one.

I need some opinion on this. You obviously know how I feel:lol:

Perhaps I could understand if he thought Swamplord sounded the same start to finish, because it's very often 6:8 and harmonized minor key melodies all the way through, with really similar-sounding vocals. I love the record but I can understand someone calling it repetitive. Swampsong - on the other hand - I don't get the claim. Heroes to us really stands out, and The Third The Magical and Moon of My Nights are pretty different from everything else. Tell your friend I say he's a moron!

hmm, its very interesting that guy said Swampsong is repetive because i know lots of people who say they LOVE swampsong because it reminds them in a great way of CoB, respectfully. But CoB better than Kalmah?? No way!! Especially because of the paths that the bands have taken! Kalmah is now becoming a power in their genre and are not repetive!! they are not repetetive because they change up their albums by changing their sub-genre elements. I am glad that Kalmah relies on melody because melody is what music is about. although there are bands that have melody but still are not good such as NEW in flames and such. EVEN the new amon amarth!!! man, i just listened to some of their new stuff on "Twilight of the Thunder God" and it is not interesting at all! I think they might have rushed it! but thats off topic, sorry!

I think They Will Return and For the Revolution are the most versatile and melodic of Kalmah's albums. Also, one nice thing about Kalmah is that unlike CoB, they never took a giant step backwards. I really don't see how Kalmah is repetitive at all though and I find their overall sound to be extremely original, whereas Bodom sounds more like an extreme form of baroque music.

i see no repetativeness in any of the albums accept maybe tempo.. the tempo in swamplord is pretty much the same throughout the album.. there are a lot of triplet sounding beats in that album,. but hell no they are not repetative in sound!

the tempo in swamplord is pretty much the same throughout the album
Yep! That's 6:8 you're hearing, cousin to the similar "swing time". Hades, and Withering Away, and the solo section from Evil in You could almost be combined into one song... not that any man could handle that much awesome music and still survive.