Kamelot - The Black Halo

Metropolis Part 2 said:
If this offends anyone: I think Kamelot is around the same level as Symphony X in conceptual epics and Symphonic Power Metal.
I'm not offended. I just disagree completely. While I like Kamelot a great deal, I think Symphony X are on a completely different level in terms of musicianship, composition and ability to execute their desired concept. Symphony X are masters of conceptual epics and symphonic power metal - that's just one of the things they do better than anyone else.

One thing I will say against Kamelot is their sound is heavily produced where Symphony X rely primarily on just the band members. I've not seen Kamelot live, but I imagine there must be a fair amount of sampling or at the least, guest musicians playing.

Oh, and yes - get Black Halo then.

kazahana said:
I'm not offended. I just disagree completely. While I like Kamelot a great deal, I think Symphony X are on a completely different level in terms of musicianship, composition and ability to execute their desired concept. Symphony X are masters of conceptual epics and symphonic power metal - that's just one of the things they do better than anyone else.

Yeah. Well Said :headbang:

without the orchestrations of MIRO Kamelot would not be anywhere near as good. Miro is the Man , recording engineer and sample orchestrator he is the man.On Black Halo he (miro) has out done himself. I wish we knew more about him and less of Kamelot he seems to be the magic man. Black Halo is Kamelots best outting hands down Kahns voice is excellent, James Labrie Breathes toooo much when he sings. Russell and Kahn are on the same page I love them both.

Miro does absolutely superb orchestrations, even better than Romeo IMO.

I personally feel that Kamelot is every bit as talented as Symphony X. Youngblood may not be able to shred as fast as Romeo, but his leads and solos have a keen sense of melody that I haven't seen in any other power/prog band.

Then again, the two bands' styles are kinda different, so I don't know if it's fair to compare them.

arglebargle said:
Miro does absolutely superb orchestrations, even better than Romeo IMO.

I personally feel that Kamelot is every bit as talented as Symphony X. Youngblood may not be able to shred as fast as Romeo, but his leads and solos have a keen sense of melody that I haven't seen in any other power/prog band.

Then again, the two bands' styles are kinda different, so I don't know if it's fair to compare them.

Yes I agree, Kamelot may not be as flashy as Symphony X or as talented musical-wise, but I think Kamelot's songwriting is much better than Symphony X's. Try writing Three Amazing Albums in a row like Karma, Epica and The Black Halo! It would be very difficult.

"Epica" was as dull as dirt in my opinion, leaving my interest in the band back then dead in its tracks. One of those barely interesting Stratovarius-type bands... I'll take the original over any European "keyboard speed metal" band any day.

IMO, their best. The production is top notch, and there are a lot of different styles the guys used in the structure of these songs. I think it's an amazing work.

Pharoah said:
IMO, their best. The production is top notch, and there are a lot of different styles the guys used in the structure of these songs. I think it's an amazing work.

Well said, I like how they incorporate Shagrath on the new album, even though I think Shagrath is a flamer and everything :Spin: