Kant's "First Critique"

Justin S.

Sep 3, 2004
Chicago, IL
I spent a good part of the semester working through this text. I won't attempt to summarize its wealth. However, I am curious if there is any interest here for an investigation of it (at whatever level).

Even with the boards modest "goals/limits" in mind, I think a closer look at Kant would benefit many, and aid our discussions.

Tell me, who wants some transcendental philosophy? ;)

I have been listening to a few basic lectures on the matter and find it fascinating, in general. I'll have no involvement here for a few weeks but am interested to read whatever turns up.

Where did you listen to the lectures? Web or university? I have only tackled the Intro to the Metaphysics of Morals and found it interesting if dense, and it would be useful to have some sort of guiding lecture explaining some of the concepts.

I would indeed be interested. There is certainly a wealth of material to discuss.

I've found what I've learned about Kant to be a great let down, and was quite relieved to hear Nietzsche ridicule him because I was wondering if I was just missing something.

I've studied Kant with two very different professors; one who reads him with an eye/ear (?) to Heidegger or Derrida, and the other a leading Kant scholar more interested in... well, "scholarship" (although, to be fair, this does ensure a good "formal" command of the material, in a certain reductive way).

My posts here will show these divergent influences (and of course, my own reading). Perhaps it might be best to initially lay bare the "structure" and context of the Critique, starting with the Preface. I have many notes that will aid in succinctly presenting many of the core features at work in each section, so that we might grapple with them in some fashion, rather than spend a lot of time struggling with apprehension.

I will try to post a quick and dirty introduction this weekend.

I think a number of us are still looking forward to it. Like Seditious my opinion of Kant is not very high - but that is based far too much on my considerably higher opinion of Nietzsche's thought. Surely that is no way to make a decision:erk:!!

Where did you listen to the lectures? Web or university? I have only tackled the Intro to the Metaphysics of Morals and found it interesting if dense, and it would be useful to have some sort of guiding lecture explaining some of the concepts.

They were a few half hour mp3's from a generalised 26 part philosphy audio lecture compilation... not in depth in the slightest but a suitable starter for me. I might be able to track down the link when I get home in a few weeks...