Karen

Shpongled

Aug 30, 2001
I'm still waiting for those recipes you promised, and I bet Brooks is too!

I've got a wok and it's ready to rock so I hope you didn't balk.

OMG I just saw this thread!! Sorry kev, I will get you some recipes :)

But first.. lemme ask you: Do you like curries (red/yellow/green etc) and coconut milk?
Are you into heavily spiced /ful lof flavor kinda Asian dishes? (or more mild?)

Hey baby you wanna wok?

Not wok related but this was awesome the other night.

IMGP0341.jpg

IMGP0681.jpg

And don't even think of cooking with a wok unless you have a gas stove.

OMG I just saw this thread!! Sorry kev, I will get you some recipes :)

But first.. lemme ask you: Do you like curries (red/yellow/green etc) and coconut milk?
Are you into heavily spiced /ful lof flavor kinda Asian dishes? (or more mild?)
Not a huge fan of curry, but if you have something that's not to be missed, then I want to try it. I do like heavily spiced things, or mild, whatever's clever. I usually spice my stuff up a bit though. I do like a lot of Asian dishes, especially ones with noodles. Yum! I also want to make some new sauces as well :)

OK:
Stir Fry as you know, is named after the way those dishes are being cooked: stirred and fried, which means: the key to a good stir fry is the constant movement in the wok so the ingredients will never have time to simmer and produce juices (meat or veggies) and will be actually cooked and keep their crispiness (no soggy veggies in stir fries!)
With that being said: You need to cook everything on high heat, and once everything for your dish is chopped and ready- the cooking process is actually pretty fast. Preparing for stir-fry dinner is a bit time consuming, (cutting, chopping etc) but once the wok is hot and ready- you throw it all in there and it's ready fast - so make sure to prepare ahead :)

When dumping everything in the wok: the best way to ensure high heat and good cooking is to keep it on high heat with nothing inside and when you start seeing steam comes out of the wok: then add oil and start the cooking process. Everything will be sizzling goodness!

Use 2 wooden spoons to stir (if you have the flat ones even better)

Also:
when cutting meat for stir fry - make sure to slice thin slices of chicken/meat. Thin and approx. 2" long. (if you don't have a good cutting knife that can slice thin try this tip- Get fresh chicken breast, for example, and freeze it just until it gets a bit frozen inside but soft on the outside: then slice it thin: the thickness of the frozen inside layer will make it easier to slice thin! :)

Ok:
Most basic of the basic stir fry EVER Recipe (and this can be altered according to taste, I always change mine depending on my mood: )

(and just an FYI all my recipes call for onions in them but I removed it for Kevin... I think stir fries are much better with onions though ;-)

BASIC RECIPE

1-2 Chicken Breast sliced thin,
Ginger Root peeled and grated, about 2-4 tbs
Broccoli flowers,
Snow peas, (with trimmed edges)
3-4 garlic cloves minced (depending on taste I like mine with a lot of garlic and ginger :D )
Bok Choy/ Cabbage sliced thin
Bell Pepper sliced thin
Soy sauce. (about 4-7 tbs depending on taste, again, I like mine with quit a lot)
Canola oil (about enough to cover wok surface fut not too much to make a 'pool' at the bottom)
salt +pepper

High heat, wok on fire, wait for the steam, add oil, and start dumping the chicken, 2-3 minutes constant movement (dont let the chicken produce juices) then add the grated ginger, garlic, salt pepper, veggies stir stir stir, until all veggies are cooked through, add the soy sauce let it all sizzle in the soy, (if your wok has a lid, you can put the lid on for a minute to let the steam go through the meat and veggies, remove from fire and enjoy.

This is the most basic: I;ll write more now :)

(ok this one is with curry... )

My ultimate favorite Karen-Yellow-Curry
(and it is indeed my curry with my own twists in it - SUPER AWESOME! :D )

* Chicken sliced thin,
* Coconut milk about 2 cans
* Yellow Curry paste (get those in any Asian market/store, and my advice- get the real asian ones not the ones they sell at the regular grocery store in the "asian/ specialty food aisle, because they are BLEND and made for whities with no taste)

* Mango Chutney
* Ripe mango sliced thin
* broccoli flowers,
* Snow peas,
* Sweet peas (you can use the frozen ones too )
* Onion sliced to long thin pieces
* 1 tbs chicken bouillon (or half a cube)
* 1-2 tbs lemon juice
* cilantro chopped about 1/4-1/2 cup
* Oil - you can use canola but if you have peanut oil- ever better!

* fresh roasted almond slivers - Its very easy - just gently roast them on a Teflon pan with no oil or anything - make sure they are evenly roasted on all sizes, let cool before serve.

In DA WOK :

heat, wait for the steam:
add oil, and onion : let the onions brown a bit, then add the chicken, cook all sizes about 2-3 minutes on high heat, add the curry paste, cover all chicken and onions, add the green veggies, cook for about 2-4 minutes more, add the coconut milk, chicken bouillon, and lemon juice, salt and pepper, let cook in coconut milk for about a minute, add the chutney, and fresh mango, cook for additional minute, add the cilanto, cook for about 45 seconds-minute then remove from fire - garnish with more cilantro and freshly roasted almonds (they realy do make a difference!) and enjoy!

Forgot to mention- those dishes work best served with rice: make sure the rice is ready BEFORE starting dumping everything in the wok :)

Ok, this one that is also my favorite calls for a certain pesto sauce: Do you have a blender or a food processor to make sauce Kev?

* Wide rice noodles
* Peanut oil
* Asparagus- bottom third chopped, and upper part chopped to 1.5"-1" pieces
* 2 Scallions chopped (do u like Scallions, babe???)
* 1 yellow bell pepper sliced thin
* 2tbs peanut butter - I recommend the crunchy kind
* dry red pepper
* 1/2 tsp sugar
* optional : sprouts

For the Pesto:
* 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves
* 2-3 garlic cloves halved
* 1/2 cup cashew nuts
* 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
* 1 tbs peanut oil
(optional: coconut milk powder - also easy to find in any specialty aisle in grocery store)

prepare the noodles, (according to package)
Prepare pesto: in food processor or blender put all ingredients, puree and let stand.

Heat the wok, add oil, and chicken, cook until golden, add veggies and red pepper, and salt and pepper- cook for a minute or two, add the pesto, peanut butter, and sugar, add the noodles, and sprouts - heat for an additional minute and serve :)

* Thin Rice noodles
* beef/chicken or veal - your call!
* 6 Scallions
* 1 small yellow or orange bell pepper sliced thin
* 2 celery sticks thinly chopped (you can either chop to small thin pieces or thin and long its up to you)
* peanut oil
* about a cup of mushrooms, chopped
* snow peas, with trimmed edges
* 1 can baby corn
* 1 tbs corn flour mixed with 1/4 cup water
* sprouts ( the big ones, but optional)
* light soy sauce (or the regular dark one doesnt matter)
* 1 tbs Hoisin sauce (find it in the specialty aisle :)
* 2 tbs dry red wine (I usually get a really cheap bottle and keep it in the fridge as my cooking wine)
* salt pepper

Thin rice noodles are very tricky!!! If over cooked they become a mushed yukkiness. My suggestion in this case is to prepare the boiling water for them first (make sure they are boiling when you start cookin your stir fry) then about a minute before done with the stir fry- start making the rice noodles, they only take about 2 minutes to make, so you'll need to multi task there for a bit with the noodles and wok, but dont over cook them!)

heat the wok, add oil, cook the chicken until golden, add scallions, pepper and celery, cook for about 2 minutes, ***start the noodles about HERE** add mushrooms, snow peas, baby corn and sprouts, cook for 1-2 minutes, add rice noodles to the wok, add the corn flour and water, add all other ingredients, (soy +hoisin) mix all together and serve with roasted almonds or peanuts on top (optional!)