Karen

Karen, awesome!! Thank you! I'm most definitely making one of these tonight.

I have one discrepancy though. You said to heat up the wok until it's hot and THEN dump in the oil... the instructions that came with my wok said very specifically to NOT do that, to instead warm up the oil with the wok from zero heat. Does this make a difference? Should I ignore the wok instructions?

Also, good lookin out on those onions ;) I still might throw some in and see if I can't convince myself they make the dish better. I really want to get over this onion hatred I've developed.

oh man, looks like i'm shit out of luck then. Bye bye brand new wok.

Sorry Karen, thanks anyways :erk:

I use essentially the same coating on the piston skirts for my race motors, the MSD sheet is quite clear on the dangers of inhalation during the heat treating process.

A non stick wok is kind of useless anyhoo.. mine looks like it was hammered out from an old hubcap with a handle on it and works fine if kept seasoned.

Yeah, I like my regular wok a lot better too for making stir fries and such, and I use my non stick for other dishes that require large pan.
But that doesn't mean you can't make awesome asian dishes on a non stick.
What's great about any wok is the way it distributes heat for cooking.

Kevin has nothing to worry about his wok. I am sure its fine and he'll make awesome dishes with it. Even the stir fries.

Well actually if you use a wok on an electric stove, the heat distribution is terrible and ruins the point of a wok. But still, they're fun!

Nonstick is for suckers. It's not that hard to season a pan yourself, and you don't have to worry about all those deadly toxins!

well im just all sorts of screwed here. Electric stove, non stick wok... why am I even bothering? Should have made this thread before I bought the thing.

well im just all sorts of screwed here. Electric stove, non stick wok... why am I even bothering? Should have made this thread before I bought the thing.

Babe, Derick and I just cook a lot therefore we are a bit snobs when it comes to ovens and appliances. That does not mean you can not make awesome dinners on electric stove and non stick wok!
Don't give up - try it!

You know, when I first moved out on my own I had a really crappy apartment in Toronto, and the kitchen was tiny and gross, I still made awesome dinners on an old stove and using cheap pans... hey, it's all in the hands of the chef ;)

Let me know how it worked!!

emot-smug.gif

made one last night with some stuff I already had in the fridge. 6.5/10. Gotta get better at woking.

6.5 out of 10 is only 65%. In school, that's a humble D. That means near failure. So... edible, yes. Delicious and above par? Not even close.