Katagory V announces new line up, writing for 5th album complete!

Dustin

C-C-Cool Beans!!!
:kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass::kickass:

Hello everyone, I know the last time I posted anything about Katagory V, it was rather grim and depressing. But as they say, it is always darkest before the light. As a quick recap, I mentioned back in January that the band had fallen apart just short of the holliday season of 2008, and like a domino effect, long-time members of the band decided to call it a day one after another. With that being said, it left me as the only remaining original member, and I had to decide if I was going to attempt to resurrect the band with an all new line-up or put Katagory V to rest for good. After several months of deliberating, searching for other musicians, writing and rewriting songs for the next album, I decided I would give it the ol’ collage try.

Before I announce the new line-up, I want to add that I have learned many things over the last year and half of the bands 10 year career, and I can honestly say that nothing is certain, nor is anything forever, it is best to take it day by day. I used to look far ahead into the future with the idea that it (the band and the it’s former members) would last a lifetime, and that as friends, we’d all stick it out through thick and thin, regardless if the band was successful or not. However, I was a stupid old fool to believe such nonsense, and that was what was the hardest to come to terms with. Now that I have planted my feet back on planet earth, I am ready to move on. Drum roll please…

The new and improved Katagory V will have a few familiar faces, Including myself on bass, Albert Rybka on vocals and Matthew “Bizzaro” Lefevre on drums, whom was announced back in January. So, to round things out now, the talents of Darrin Goodman and Kris Krompel will lead the way as the bands two the new guitarists. Both Darrin and Kris are professional guitar teachers with extreme chops and insane discipline, and both are very motivated to make things happen in this band. Their abilities as guitar players far exceed those that have been in this band up until now. I am very proud to have them in Katagory V, and I feel that this is the boost in the arm that the band has needed for years. Ironiclly, both of these gentlemen auditioned for the guitar slot back when Marc Hanson quit in 2007, but the other members of the band at that time, were not interested in reqruiting either one for the vacant slot, due to both of them living too far away to make it to the studio on an annual basis for rehearsals. Well, now that the band is under new management, things are going to be very different concerning the bands political affairs, and I felt it was time for a change and brought them both in!

During the last few months, I have been very busy composing and orchestrating material for the next Katagory V album with Bizzaro and Albert, and I am proud to say that we are now complete with the writing process! If all goes well, we will start working on pre-production demos in June and July and hopefully start tracking album #5 by the end of this year. In my opinion, I feel that these songs embody the vision I have had for this band since the beginning. Rest assured, fans of the band will get that perfect mixture of what Katagory V is know for; syncopated movements, progressive elements, melodic hooks and thrashing riffs! Once we have completed the pre-production process, I will then post some clips of the new songs for everyone to hear!

Hell yeah!
Now that the fun part is done, (writing) the tedious work comes!
I for one am really glad that this news has finally gone public! I've been busting at the seams for months now wanting to get this out! The fans need to know the Unprecedented pace that this band has been able to move over the last few months! I think your being pretty generous with your "end of the year" time line.
I also have to say congrats to Darrin Goodman and Kris Krompel! These guys have such an interesting dynamic to spectate at rehearsals....... (Being my kit faces the two of them i get plenty of time to observe.) They are both shredders in every sence of the word, but they have their strenghts so they are not carbon copies of eachother. Kris is the speed demon! He can fly through sweeps and scales like he's on finger "roids"!!! He also has a great ear! He hears something once or twice and he's got it nailed! Darrin is the melodic and harmonic GURU! He can think outside the box like none other. He's always tring to find ways to deepen the sound, and fill things out! If you ask me Dustin got it right bringing these guys in! I'm glad that these guys have a different enough style and approach to their palying that I don't think it'll be like other bands where the guitar players get in these pissing contests to fit their ego. These guys have their own elements, and if you ask their ego's are humble...... you can't argue with that!
Matthew "Bizzaro" LeFevre

I can't wait for the album! The songs sound amazing already, so I expect they'll be that much more awesome once recorded and mixed.
I'm glad you like them, though I am a little embarASSed that you've heard them. The ideas I will agree are great! Those scratch tracks you heard are really rough. Nothing in reguards to my playing to write home about. I just listened through to all 12 songs today. Picking and Prying at all of the parts that I did terribly. I'm excited to hear all of these ideas develop and come to full fruition.
OrbWeaver- what is your favorite song so far?

Get Awesome. :D

No, seriously. All humor aside, it's a pretty great instrumental track.

And don't be embarrassed, I've heard a few of Al's attempts when he wasn't at his best. Hooboy! It ain't pretty! :lol: But even as rough tracks, I think everything sounds really good. That's why I can't wait for the new album. If everything sounds good now, I can only imagine what it will sound like mixed and mastered! :)

Really??? I thought you would be partial to something AL did! That's cool you like "GET AWESOME"! Dustin can take most of the credit for that song. He came up with 90% of the riffs, but I did have my hand in the beefy odd timed part between solos where we go up and down dynamically. That little riff I wrote on the keyboards probably 7-8 years ago and never did anything with it. So I dragged my keyboard in and dustin sat there and scratched his head for a minute. We tried to jamm it for a minute or two. Then he had me record it in pro tools so that he could transpose it. :worship:Obviously it didn't take him long to get it nailed on the guitar.:worship: I'm kind of partial to that song for that reason. I know it's kind of biased, but seriously how often do you find a group of musicians that will listen to a drummer about anything that is not drum/rhythm related? I feel like I have got way more than my two cents into the writing and production of what we have written.
Anyway that was a long story..... I do have other questions-
What is your least favorite? Why? What should we do different?:headbang:

Oh gosh, I guess I'd have to listen to them all over again. Al has the CD somewhere, he'd probably let me hear it again. :D

I can't think of anything off the top of my head that might need improving. My area of knowledge is mostly limited to vocals, and if something sounds funky with what Al does, I usually say so. His first shot recording the ballad was pretty off, as he was very, very flat. But he went back and re-recorded it when he was better rested (His first shot recording, he was on 4.5hrs of sleep!) and fixed all the flat parts. It sounded MUCH better. I know he is happier with it. And this is why I yell at him to get more sleep. :)

Truth be told, I like the sound of Kat-V better with this lineup. I'm not saying it wasn't cool with the original lineup, because it was (and I'm still sad that Curtis took his tunes with him, because some of them were pretty damned awesome) but I really like what you guys are doing now. There's still a lot of the familiar Kat-V sound, but a fresh, new element as well. :)

Truth be told, I like the sound of Kat-V better with this lineup. I'm not saying it wasn't cool with the original lineup,
Thanks! We've been working hard on it, so it's good to heard words of encouragement.
but I really like what you guys are doing now. There's still a lot of the familiar Kat-V sound, but a fresh, new element as well.
Well this is the key! The really hard part about starting over with a new line up. I know for my end...... I have had to do a lot of studying of Matt Suiter's playing. I have to really focus on making my parts authentic. I need to make sure that there are the reconizable Matt-ism's that the fans are accostom to. With that being said i also cannot deny my own style and flavor that my personality adds to the mix. I can't just be a carbon copy of Suiter, that's not fair to me.
Bizzaro-

Yep! There's the big news!

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, but I've been busy lately. I'm currently in the process of moving (no, not to Salt Lake City!). Anyway, I'd like to welcome Darrin and Kris into the fold from four states away. I have yet to meet you guys in person, but I'm well aware of your skills. Once I'm settled into my new place, I'll be sure to get in touch with you both.

Things have been going rather quickly on the songwriting front. I only have to record scratch tracks for four more songs, and then it's just a matter of waiting to start pre-production. I'm rather pleased with the way the songs are turning out, and the feeling seems to be mutual across the board.

I am looking forward to working with this new lineup, and as the second-longest-running member of the band now (Ha!), I truly think that folks are going to be amazed at what we're going to release.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I am looking forward to working with this new lineup, and as the second-longest-running member of the band now (Ha!), I truly think that folks are going to be amazed at what we're going to release.
AMEN! from number 3

Sorry to resurrect a ten month old thread, but is all the writing really now complete as of May 2009? Or are you guys still coming up with new stuff? I am more than sure that the creative process is an ongoing thing, but are you now just fine tuning the songs you have come up with, or are you adding more to the mix?

Sorry to resurrect a ten month old thread, but is all the writing really now complete as of May 2009? Or are you guys still coming up with new stuff? I am more than sure that the creative process is an ongoing thing, but are you now just fine tuning the songs you have come up with, or are you adding more to the mix?

No problem Ken, resurrect any old thread you like!

Yes, the writing is indeed complete, at least for the 5th album. We’ve stopped the writing process for now so we can concentrate more on getting the next album recorded and out on the market. The fine tuning usually happens during pre-production (which we finished a few months ago) where we’ll track all the songs as demo’s and fine tune them there before starting the actual album itself.

In the past, we’d sometimes come up with song ideas during production, but this time we’re putting all our energy into this new album without distractions.

Once we get through recoding the 5th album, Resurrect the Insurgance, we’ll start writing the next album right away since we have a lot of lost time to make up for. I know everyone in the band has some new song ideas already, especially Marc... he is literally itching to get started on writing the 6th album! LOL! :p

Will Marc be playing the same guitar parts that Darrin came up with for the record or will he be infusing his own style on the songs? Has his playing changed the songs in any way seeing as from what I have read, they have different approaches to not only how they play, but how they fit in the band?
And has Kris modified anything in his playing seeing as the other half of the guitar team is much different than when he joined?

This is going to be a bit tricky one to answer, so I’ll have to break it down like this…

Will Marc be playing the same guitar parts that Darrin came up with for the record or will he be infusing his own style on the songs?

The truth be told, in the past, I usually would write 30%-50% of the guitar parts depedning on the album. However this time I came up with 95% of the guitar parts for the new album, so in reality, Marc and Kris would be putting there personal style onto what I wrote. Darrin was brought in after I wrote everything, and only played rhythm guitar on the demo, and didn’t write any of the riffs to any of the songs. Darrin basicly came in long enough to contribute some rhythm tracks and a few solos during pre-production before leaving the band.

Marc will indeed be performing on the album, but will be doing guitar solos/melodies on selected songs. The bulk of the rhythm guitars on the album are being recorded by Kris.

Has his playing changed the songs in any way seeing as from what I have read, they have different approaches to not only how they play, but how they fit in the band? And has Kris modified anything in his playing seeing as the other half of the guitar team is much different than when he joined?

Both Kris and Marc are different guitarists for sure, but are actually very similar in their ability to be melodic, sensible and rhythmic while complementing each other’s styles very well. The chemistry is quite fantastic actually! In fact better than it has ever been in over a decade! Kris (or Marc) didn't have to modifiy their styles for each other at all... and they haven’t really modified many of the new songs that much, but only added their personal touch to make them sound a lot fuller and tighter.

Even though I’m the bassist, I’m also a pretty good guitarist, but only good enough to write songs. I leave the shredding to the professionals in the band.
:worship:kickass:

Ken, I was the only one there for the vast majority of the writing wtih Dustin. Rest assured he's still a pretty good guitarist. He's rusty...... But Good. Most people don't know but he was actually headed to Brekley in Boston to study guitar unfortunately some outside influences kept him in Utah. He became a bassist when he became too tired of not being able to find someone to play the way he was hearing it in his head. One of those "if you want it done right, do it yourself" things.
-bizzaro