Katatonia - Dead End Kings

The Ozzman

Melted by feels
Sep 17, 2006
In My Kingdom Cold
This might become the new Katatonia thread, but regardless, this album is fucking amazing. This is the album that should've been released after The Great Cold Distance.

This album is so fucking infectious it's amazing. It takes me back to when I would play TGCD on repeat in college. That album never left my CD player for about 3 months.

I heard about half of the first single and never tried the album. But thus far '92-'98 has been their best era by far so yeah I'm skeptical.

NITND had the benefit of opening with that massive salvo of Forsaker. I like Dead End Kings as an album better overall, but damn. Forsaker.

Still need to listen to this guy, been slacking lately.

Ive enjoyed all their albums, so I wont be surprised if I dig this one as well.

My favorite album of theirs is still Discouraged Ones, though

At first, I thought it was kinda dull, but it's grown on me. It's a good album.

I also agree with Ozzman about TGCD. A lot of people think its Katatonia's weakest album, but I love it. I thought Renkse sounded great.

Great fuckin album, but I think Night is the New Day was even better. Heavier, more depressing. Dead End Kings is more upbeat.

At first, I thought it was kinda dull, but it's grown on me. It's a good album.

I also agree with Ozzman about TGCD. A lot of people think its Katatonia's weakest album, but I love it. I thought Renkse sounded great.

NITND is one of their weakest albums IMO. Man, I think the trifecta for this band was LFDGD, VE and TGCD. Those three albums are fucking outstanding.

I think TGCD was just an album about despair in general and that's probably why I like it so much. VE has been my favorite of theirs lately though.

I only liked old Katatonia at somepoint, but I heard 'I Break' from Discouraged Ones and it really hit me. Discouraged Ones is probably my favorite clean Katatonia album. It's pretty simplistic and stripped down compared to some of the newer albums, but the songs and great, the production is really cool too. Viva Emptiness is my least listened to Katatonia album. Not big on the production and a lot of the songs. I will probably give it another listen at somepoint just to make sure am not missing something