Dead End Kings

I personally love how Katatonia new songs always at first sound (to me) strange, difficult and somehow disjointed and in time they grow in me forming their shape, and things are getting at last clear and make sense. This type of music is in my opinion the music that i will always love, like i.e listening to Rainroom after so many years and still feeling crazy about that song (which i remember at first was a very "difficult" song for me to approach and understand). This goes for almost every Katatonia album to this day. The only Katatonia album that i liked with the first listen, that was "easy" for me and catchier was NITND. The result for me is what i was suspecting. Good album, liked it, but somehow in time became "forgotten" for me while TGCD and VE and of course every other Katatonia album is pretty much alive in me. I also don't get the whole Tool paroxysm. I personally find the riffs, the progressive-ness and the general sound featured in Dead Letters has been around since VE (when Tool was probably not so much known to everyone) and i find the whole thing a mix of VE and TGCD in terms of mood, tunings, melodic parts in verses etc. I expect the new album will be at least pretty much interesting. Cheers

U MAD BRO?

y u no like double vinyl special pre-order price?

tumblr_leut89oTFl1qf8yek.gif

(when Tool was probably not so much known to everyone)
Actually Tool has influenced a plethora of bands since they released their breakthrough album, Aenima, in 1996. By the time they put out 2001's Lateralus, many prog and non-prog bands had admitted to being influenced by their unique riffing style and complex, polyrhytmic drum lines. It is no secret the riff on the new Katatonia song is derived from the Tool riff-book, just like some of Katatonia's earlier material, i.e. The Great Cold Distance.

Actually Tool has influenced a plethora of bands since they released their breakthrough album, Aenima, in 1996. By the time they put out 2001's Lateralus, many prog and non-prog bands had admitted to being influenced by their unique riffing style and complex, polyrhytmic drum lines. It is no secret the riff on the new Katatonia song is derived from the Tool riff-book, just like some of Katatonia's earlier material, i.e. The Great Cold Distance.

Of course Tool are a huge influence to Katatonia, we all know and hear this since VE. That's the point: Why all this Tool conversation about Dead Letters? I don't think the influence here is more obvious than previous work of over a decade ago. So i guess its because back then Tool werent that much popular so that their influence would be traced and discussed that much as nowadays. Almost every Katatonia fan knows that Katatonia's influences have always mostly been Tool, The Cure, Paradise Lost, Fields of the Nephilim, Jeff Buckley etc. So that influence discussion is a bit old and boring IMO. Cheers!

F.U.C.K.T.O.O.L.

I mean no disrespect since you were pretty respectful during the whole "b-side saga", but..... I can't understand your hatred of Tool. I feel like loving Katatonia while hating Tool (or at least not acknowledging that they were huge influences on Katatonia) is kinda like loving to go swimming while absolutely hating to get wet. o_O Just doesn't seem to match up and make a whole lot of sense to me. In my opinion, Tool sounds much more similar to Katatonia than Paradise Lost, Riverside, Opeth, Agalloch, Karnivool, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, Dream Theater, Anathema, The Butterfly Effect, Alcest, Novembre and just about every other such bands that Katafans also seem to love that I know of or have listened to. With those bands I can't make near as many connections to Katatonia as easily as I can with Tool (although admittedly some bands do suffer the most in the "vocals" department). But again, that's just my take on it. All I can say is that I would be thrilled to discover another male fronted band who is in the same league as Katatonia and Tool are because none of those other bands I listed above come close for me. And it's not that I don't like any of those bands; I just don't feel they are nearly as appealing and "perfected" as Katatonia/Tool are. But hey, I know I am the most "unpopular" member on here, so I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me. I just wanted to add in my view on the matter.

Scent, chillout..

In my opinion, Tool sounds much more similar to Katatonia than Paradise Lost, Riverside, Opeth, Agalloch, Karnivool, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, Dream Theater, Anathema, The Butterfly Effect, Alcest, Novembre and just about every other such bands that Katafans also seem to love that I know of or have listened to.

Dance of December Souls, Brave Murder Day.

Yknow, the stuff you hate.

And what the FUCK has Dream Theater to do with anything? Cmon, that's silly? The connection between bands from the death-doom scene is indisputable. It makes it into books about metal. But you can not make a connection between otherwise unrelated bands and what people like. Awia for example likes Katatonia and is an avid hiphop fan? Is there an obvious music connection. No. So what?
Do you seriously suggest Massive Attack, Dream Theater and Alcest explain love for Katatonia and thus should Tool? Some people don't like what you like. Get over it.

Anders cites SlowDive as their largest influence ever in the DO booklet. Does that mean we all have to love SlowDive like he does? Of course not.

My second most favorite music ever is the 3rd wave skapunk of streetlight manifesto. As far from katatonia as you can get, probably. Can you make a connection there? Nope? I hope that proves the point.

For the record: I don't listen to Tool. I don't dislike them, I just don't bother.

I don't really hate DDS or BMD (in fact I bought BMD) and I love the music in some earlier songs (for example 'Without God' is amazing musically), but the vocals are not for me. The band lacked back then what I love the most about them now. When I think "Katatonia", I think DO onwards because that is when they became much more appealing to me, and so those are the albums I always compare to the other bands. I'm just saying that (generally) people love to attack bands I listen to when (in reality to me) the bands I listen to are no more different from Katatonia than the bands I listed (whom are much more "accepted" within the fandom) are. There is no rhyme or reason behind either side.

And also I never said he was wrong for not liking Tool. I just said I didn't understand it (just like when someone says "My two favorite music genres are black metal and yodeling"...my brain struggles to rationalize and try and make sense of such chaotic tastes). However, I always try to make sure to state many times that whatever I write on here are my opinions and nothing more. And even if I forget to say it, since I am the one saying it, it should always be automatically assumed that that is all it is.

Nobody asked about it, but I'm going to say what I think about the lyrics.
That's it, in my opinion of course =]

Nice interpretation imo...

well, i dont get why you all are so jumpy about the obvious tool-sound. i enjoyed to finally hear something new from one of my all time fav bands...one of the few that are still high on my frequent playlist after listening to them for 10+ years. lets wait for the whole album, shall we? :p

I am very underwhelmed by the new song. I like it, don't get me wrong but it feels broken, almost like its a song made of clips of other songs. Also on the boring side for Katatonia, not impressed. Good thing the rest of the album will be amazing!

this.. started off ok but after a while i kinda got over it

I mean no disrespect since you were pretty respectful during the whole "b-side saga", but..... I can't understand your hatred of Tool. I feel like loving Katatonia while hating Tool (or at least not acknowledging that they were huge influences on Katatonia) is kinda like loving to go swimming while absolutely hating to get wet. o_O Just doesn't seem to match up and make a whole lot of sense to me. In my opinion, Tool sounds much more similar to Katatonia than Paradise Lost, Riverside, Opeth, Agalloch, Karnivool, Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, Dream Theater, Anathema, The Butterfly Effect, Alcest, Novembre and just about every other such bands that Katafans also seem to love that I know of or have listened to. With those bands I can't make near as many connections to Katatonia as easily as I can with Tool (although admittedly some bands do suffer the most in the "vocals" department). But again, that's just my take on it. All I can say is that I would be thrilled to discover another male fronted band who is in the same league as Katatonia and Tool are because none of those other bands I listed above come close for me. And it's not that I don't like any of those bands; I just don't feel they are nearly as appealing and "perfected" as Katatonia/Tool are. But hey, I know I am the most "unpopular" member on here, so I don't expect you or anyone else to agree with me. I just wanted to add in my view on the matter.

Sorry bro, Katatonia is one of my favorite bands of all time and I also hate tool. Boring as fuck.