Katatonia, STS and Orphaned Land tour dates!

This is awesome news. I am not familiar with Katatonia at all and only somewhat familiar with Swallow the Sun, but I'm not going to pass up an opportunity to see Orphaned Land perform. I can't say I'll 100% be at the Atlanta show, but I'll definitely try and work around any school conflicts to be there. Also does anyone have StS or Katatonia song or album suggestions?

I am so in on this show. ProgPower aside, probably the most excited I've been for a concert in years. StS and Katatonia are two of my favorites.

This is awesome news. I am not familiar with Katatonia at all and only somewhat familiar with Swallow the Sun, but I'm not going to pass up an opportunity to see Orphaned Land perform. I can't say I'll 100% be at the Atlanta show, but I'll definitely try and work around any school conflicts to be there. Also does anyone have StS or Katatonia song or album suggestions?

I have been following Katatonia since their 1996 release Brave Murder Day when Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth was the lead singer. But, the release that made me a lifelong fan was Discouraged Ones (1998)...the release where Jonas Renkse took over lead vocals full-time. In my opinion, they have a sound all their own...others have tried to copy but Jonas, Anders Nystrom and until recently, the Norrman brothers have created something special. If I had to provide a Katatonia novice a guide to familiarize themselves with their catalogue...I would probably go in this order:

Night is the New Day- My 2009 CD of the Year
Last Fair Deal Gone Down- A departure into the new era of Katatonia in my opinion and still one of my favorites of all time
Discouraged Ones - The release that reeled me in
Tonight's Decision - Some consider this to be Discouraged Ones II but I disagree...some familiar elements but an uptick in the general tempo
Viva Emptiness/The Great Cold Distance - not gonna lie...I was a little disappointed in both of these releases

Hope this helps! :kickass:

YES!!!! I bought myself and the wife VIP Tickets to the concert in Louisville.......we've been waiting to see Katatonia for years now :)

If I had to provide a Katatonia novice a guide to familiarize themselves with their catalogue...I would probably go in this order:

Night is the New Day- My 2009 CD of the Year
Last Fair Deal Gone Down- A departure into the new era of Katatonia in my opinion and still one of my favorites of all time
Discouraged Ones - The release that reeled me in
Tonight's Decision - Some consider this to be Discouraged Ones II but I disagree...some familiar elements but an uptick in the general tempo
Viva Emptiness/The Great Cold Distance - not gonna lie...I was a little disappointed in both of these releases

Hope this helps! :kickass:

I think it would be easiest to start with Night is the New Day or The Great Cold Distance first, then go to Viva Emptiness and then Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I've found that people get pretty turned off by the low-quality production of the earlier albums.

I think it would be easiest to start with Night is the New Day or The Great Cold Distance first, then go to Viva Emptiness and then Last Fair Deal Gone Down. I've found that people get pretty turned off by the low-quality production of the earlier albums.

I agree. The Great Cold Distance is one of my favorite albums by them with a large part of the reason being the production quality. However VE and LFDGD are amazing albums.

Discouraged Ones is my favorite.

With Katatonia, I'm partial to Tonight's Decision. Also love Dance of December Souls.

For Swallow the Sun, I don't think they've put out a bad one yet. I'll second the Hope suggestion, and also say check out their newest, New Moon.

A lot of times there are delays on bands tour dates on their websites. This was just announced today, so I'm sure it will be fixed. Plus, it does say they're playing the US in September on their facebook.

Orphaned Land confirmed the tour late yesterday on MySpace and Facebook. :kickass:

This show is full of alll sorts of win. There isn't a bad band on it. :headbang:

Wow! AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing the news. Wouldn't it figure? They start their tour in Baltimore only 40 minutes from my house, but I will have just arrived in ATL for PP!! Luckily they end the tour 1:45 minutes from me at Jaxx. Guess I'll have to see Katatonia there instead.

Just got the following announement from Enterthevault.com. I loved Katatonia's TGCD album, but haven't bought the new one because it sounds much more mellow than TGCD, reminding me of Riverside, which is just too lowkey for me. I'm sure I'd still enjoy their show and would love to see OL again. I'm really glad to see OL on a tour like this - should be great exposure for them!

Katatonia have finally announced their return to North America.... Joining the band on the tour will be Swallow the Sun and Orphaned Land. As a part of their North American tour , Katatonia will offer special VIP Meet/ Greet tickets. All vip ticket holders will be admitted to the venue 1 hour before door time and will get a custom made poster from the venue signed by the band.

Dates are below and go onsale TODAY

Sept
8 Balt, MD Sonar
9 Phila, PA Trocadero
10 NYC, NY Grammercy Theatre
11 Worcester, Mass Palladium
Oct
6 Raleigh, NC Volume 11
7 Springfield ,VA Jaxx