Katatoniac music and family...

Dora

Apr 20, 2003
USA
I just wondered about what is the attitude of family members to Katatonia and similar music. Does your girlfriend, grandmother, etc like it? How about children? Would you play it to your 3 year-old daugther? .. :)

yv said:
Buuuuuuurp

oh, yes.. it was a good example of that even few-months-old babies love katatonia so much that they can post some baby-talk in the forum! :)

i dont really get your point.. lots of katatonia fans have babies, and even the band members have / will have, and i think many of us has a family, parents, etc.. Probably it's more cool to be a neurotic loner for a black metal fan or whatever but in the real world..
E.g. I'm very happy to have a mate who likes them. And some friends as well.. and we have some who doesnt.. In my teens I even played lots of heavy metal music to my grandma, and she still lives.. :)

Dora said:
I just wondered about what is the attitude of family members to Katatonia and similar music. Does your girlfriend, grandmother, etc like it? How about children? Would you play it to your 3 year-old daugther? .. :)

well, you can play this music to anyone, but I'm not sure about how many will understand the meaning...
as far as my family concerns they just know that i like a "heavy music band" called katatonia, and they might enjoy songs like "omerta" and all that "ballad-like" songs...you know...sulfur...disposession...

but, when discouraged ones came out, my mother really enjoyed "deadhouse" because of the sad melody...it made her put into a sad mood...!

if i put "teargas" to my little cousin i dont think he'd understand the situation that is trying to present the song...

i guess this is music for mature beings...

OK, I turn over the question:
should children/old people be protected against black metal? :)
And do metal fans have metalfan friend?
Have you ever succeded in convert someone to metal?

ps
I was hoping to read someone having a child such things like "my 4 year old son likes Deadhouse the best" or similar stories.. :) like valafars mom..

yv said:
yeahhhh, it's so damn cooool..

If someone thinks it's cool and acts like that because of the look and stuff than it's stupid.
If it's the other - being in black mood, on edge, nervous, sad and such, and thats why liking that - then it's not cool, it doesnt have to be.. Then it's TRUE. But if you're not playing, then you should not expect playing(acting) from others either, so they can be different. They can be even happy. After all.. Katatonia is kind of happiness, isnt it?

Dora said:
If someone thinks it's cool and acts like that because of the look and stuff than it's stupid
seems you like putting on caps. and what do you wear? we are women, we should chirp about fashion.

Dora said:
should children/old people be protected against black metal? :)
hell me, that is superb ..hihi..

Dora said:
Have you ever succeded in convert someone to metal?
Ohhh.. yeah it's my sense of living, didn't you know?

wearing black is not a matter of fashion
fashon comes when you choose from different black shirts :)

me like metal, that war, black war and the churchburnings. and evil, yes evil. i envy them that they are so evil. i am a false bullshit but i will be evil when i grow up. katatonia is evil too. my mammas fingernails are evil, my panzerschwanz is evil. i like metal. metal doesn't like me unfortunately.

Dora said:
After all.. Katatonia is kind of happiness, isnt it?

sorry dora, but totally disagreed...

katatonia is SADNESS...ANGER...HATE...
i have never felt anything but sorrow, and hatred in their songs...
and that is why i listen to them :)

i mean...i listen to "ghost of the sun" and my heart fills with some sort of anger and fury...feeling like someone has betrayed me...and that makes me sad, and furious... woow what a feeling...

i listen to "tonight's music" and i feel like SHIT...and sincerely, i love that feeling...

katatonia IS NOT HAPPINESS :)

I'm always happy to listen to them. It's full of power and truth and I like it. I'm kind of person choosing the red pill. :)
yv, if its senseless, just ignore it. there are many others. you know, "Ignorance is Bliss".

Dora said:
you know, "Ignorance is Bliss".
I'd challenge the statement..
If you are attacked by anyone you would like him/her to ignore. Ignorance is bliss then.
If you like somebody and he/she ignores where do you find bliss? In alcohol. :p

Btw, Katatonia is not the source of feeling like shit. Shit lies deep within ourselves. And sometimes it starts to stink. Understanding the meaning of Katatonia comes when you go by yourself through the similar situations like the author. If you finally understand, it's hard to get back. How one can just blank everything and trust again? Not yet or never. People are not sweet. Except from me, hehe :lol:

Btw, my mates and friends listen to metal so I have noone to "convert". However, when I overdose playing Katatonia my MUM says: "Grrr... Turn off that f'n Moaner". I love it.

And after all, I also love to drown in contradictions and nonsese so I can't ignore this thread. ;)

I think Katatonia helps in that you/we are not alone in our pain. No one would listen to Katatonia if somehow they did't feel connected to the music/lyrics.
Sadly most of my friends (who understand me) don't understand Katatonia. Go figure.
But my girlfriend likes Katatonia and went to the concert with me. And today I will be seeing Evanescence with her, for her.
And yeah, my future kids will hear Katatonia. And Marble Arch. And Joy Division. I hope they'll raid my album collection and choose to become who they want to be instead of living up to the expectations of others!