Kayo Dot in Houston

Draft Dodging Scarecrow

Year of Mao Zedong
Sep 25, 2003
in the minds of children everywhere
FUCKING AMAZING! The group played ALL FIVE songs!

Three friends and I left about 6 (the show started at eight) and picked up pizza on the way there. After driving around and getting semi-lost trying to find the place (it's in a house) we got there about 8. Said our hello's and introduced ourself and stuff. It was kind of awkward at first, but everybody got really comfortable. My gang sat around in the place and drew, because they had the sketch pads. Then we played board games and played with sock-puppets and talked with Greg and Forbes. There was a pretty good turn-out. I counted at one time and I think there was 25 people in there.

So Kayo Dot took the stage at 9:15 or so and started off with Marathon. I just heard d.j. say "this is gonna be fun" and then I saw Sam's arms go up and BOOM! Fucking Amazing. Next came Pitcher of Summer, which is my favorite song. Then came The Manifold Curiousity. All of Toby's voice effects went really well. During that song Ryan left the stage and ran somewhere and we found out later that he went to puke. Next came the beautiful Wayfarer. It was soooooo relaxing to just close your eyes and listen. And then when you did open your eyes, it was really cool to see Mia goin' at her violin. Next was Antique, which was my least favorite song on the album, but now I love it. Everybody right of Sam (Greg, Forbes, Ryan, and d.j.) was head-banging pretty hard. Overall, it was fucking amazing to see them play all of their songs. d.j. was fucking around alot and during one song he got a "spotlight" (flashlight) and was shining it on Toby. d.j. and Ryan were talking alot during the show, but we found out afterwards that it was because they were trying to sort of technical difficulties.

After the show, we bought all of our Kayo gear so we'd be all pimped out. We just kept telling them that we wanted to give them money. Then we talked to the gang for two hours. It was really amazing to talk to Forbes and Toby and Greg (occassionally Mia would say a few words, but she was pre-occupied with the gameboy) about all sorts of music and stuff. Toby even told us that he's usually not that sociable at shows. So here's the pics:

0.jpg

A few of the Kayo Crew (including d.j., who told me that he poses for all of his shots) eating our pizza

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is just a friend and Forbes when we took Forbes to the gas station to get food:

4.jpg

5.jpg

Greg talked to us for a while 'bout music and such (i got this shot by laying on the floor):

6.jpg

7.jpg

Yeah:
12.jpg

13.jpg

xfer said:
did they do the "lite" version of Pitcher? (no vox)
no, the they played with vocals. The only thing different I think was that Forbes played the clarinet solo on The Manifold Curiousity on that little horn thing whose name I forgot.

also, i'm having trouble uploading the images. Does anyone know of a free image hoster that I could use?

the real washington sniper said:
also, i'm having trouble uploading the images. Does anyone know of a free image hoster that I could use?
www.imageshack.us is good, free and allows hotlinking to this forum

cool review, totally jealous you got all 5 songs. doesn't look like I'll get to make it to the Asheville, NC show this Sat unless I take a Greyhound from Charlotte to there and spend the night roaming Asheville looking for a place to crash then leave Asheville early the next morning. sigh. sux depending on my brother for transportation.

Yes indeed, the show was absolutely amazing. My heart started beating so very hard when Marathon started. It took me completely by suprise. Despite a few technical difficulties with bass, everything sounded utterly fantastic, and I'm in their debt for playing the entire album from start to finish, as this will likely be our only time to see them for a while. It was great getting the chance to just sit around and talk to Toby and Greg for like 2 hours after the show, as the venue was very comfortable. It was kinda hard to convey how much we appreciated them coming and playing in Houston, as this will carry me over for 2 years or so haha. Everyone was very cool, Mia sticking to her new appendage and D.j. of course acting as he should (following people into the bathroom, all that stuff). I hope they enjoyed the mediocre Texas pizza. All in all the best show I've ever attended by a long shot (I wanted to cry during the soft parts of Marathon and The Antique haha).

*I'm to the right of Toby in the picture above, hidden behind my friend Ben.