Kayo Dot: Your opinions on this...

Apr 24, 2002
Chicago, Illinois
www.novembersdoom.com
OK, now after looking at the pictures of other bands at your last performance, I started to think to myself that some of these bands are trying to be strange and different, just for the sake of being "different." It's not really fair of me to say, because I have never heard the music, so I ask you guys who have. Is all the different stange instruments really working in the music, or is it just some "I'm too cool for everyone else in the room, so i'll make a drum set out of rusty garbage to look indy." Some examples:

neptune2.jpg

With a Voivod T-Shirt, this guy either really lives the music, or again, just wants to stand out and be "different." Although, if he plays this well, it MUST be amazing.

arctopus5.jpg

Again in the photo below, was this good, of should he be wearing a straw hat and a corn pipe in his mouth? Musically amazing, or silly shit?

flywheel32.jpg

When I look at Kayo Dot, you guys look like you mean business. You're there to play, and no gimmicks. These other bands just come off looking, as I said, different for the sake of different.

So, what do you think?

all three of these bands are completely valid and not in the slightest bit pretentious (or so I've heard regarding band #1).

Behold...The Arctopus (#2) features some of the sickest technical playing I have ever seen in my life.

Josh Seipp said:
all three of these bands are completely valid and not in the slightest bit pretentious (or so I've heard regarding band #1).

Behold...The Arctopus (#2) features some of the sickest technical playing I have ever seen in my life.

Out of the 3 bands, judging by the photos only, I would say that Arctopus would be the one to be the standout band on talent. The shit can drum set, and the saw blade is a bit harder to swallow, although Blue Man Group seems to make some pretty cool percussion with odd things. Stomp as well, so maybe the rusty heap could work as well. I need to hear these bands.

i don't have much experience with the first band paul but i guess their homemade instruments do add to the sound they are trying to make.

as for arctopus, colin has been playing the Warr guitar for years from what i have seen and honestly it is an integral part of their music too and not just a gimmick.

and with cerberus shoal they use weird instrumentation: pump organs, toy keyboards, etc. but again for them it works really well.

yeah, they were all right. I only heard a little bit of their set but their sound was unique and there songwriting seemed to be somewhat above average. I wasn't like OH MY GOD THESE GUYS ARE SO AMAZING but I didn't dislike it really. well, I kind of did. a little.

i think you improperly grouped these bands.

Colin's Warr guitar is a totally valid instrument, not a "weird" one for the sake of weirdness. What he does with it also contributes probably 1000x more than its slightly uncommon appearance does, so I think there's zero grounds for your criticism to stick for that.

Cerberus Shoal, probably more than any other band I've ever seen, manages to incorporate a lot of different instruments in a brilliant manner that never smacks of "weirdness for the sake of weirdness". I suppose if you are entirely unfamiliar with the music they make you might suspect they're weird-for-weird's-sake just by seeing pictures, but if you saw them play you'd assuredly be convinced otherwise.

Neptune is probably the one to whom the criticism could most stick, because building your own instruments doesn't necessarily affect your sound in an equal manner as it affects your visual aesthetic. Were all those buzz-saws really necessary?

But they did manage to pull some unique sounds from their homemade instruments, which was neat. And I don't think it's possible to dis that kind of visual aesthetic without also condemning every genre that uses visual aesthetics to any degree, of which metal is one of the primary culprits/practitioners. "Isn't the long hair thing just an ATTEMPT TO BE WEIRD FOR THE SAKE OF WEIRD? Do you really need a FLYING V GUITAR?"

There is a band in MTL that decided to create their music from 0 to z, meaning that they fabricate their instruments and then write songs with them. They actually play this very cool country-rock and I think this is a perfectly valid artistic endeavor. I can't judge for any of the bands above because I have yet to hear them but using different instrumentation is only a tool towards creating your artistic vision. If the artistic vision limits itself to guitar-bass-drum-vocals then fine do that, if it doesn't stop there why in heaven would you stop?

And I don't see what is that groundbreaking with a saw and a Warr guitar...

xfer said:
i think you improperly grouped these bands.

Colin's Warr guitar is a totally valid instrument, not a "weird" one for the sake of weirdness. What he does with it also contributes probably 1000x more than its slightly uncommon appearance does, so I think there's zero grounds for your criticism to stick for that.

Cerberus Shoal, probably more than any other band I've ever seen, manages to incorporate a lot of different instruments in a brilliant manner that never smacks of "weirdness for the sake of weirdness". I suppose if you are entirely unfamiliar with the music they make you might suspect they're weird-for-weird's-sake just by seeing pictures, but if you saw them play you'd assuredly be convinced otherwise.

Neptune is probably the one to whom the criticism could most stick, because building your own instruments doesn't necessarily affect your sound in an equal manner as it affects your visual aesthetic. Were all those buzz-saws really necessary?

But they did manage to pull some unique sounds from their homemade instruments, which was neat. And I don't think it's possible to dis that kind of visual aesthetic without also condemning every genre that uses visual aesthetics to any degree, of which metal is one of the primary culprits/practitioners. "Isn't the long hair thing just an ATTEMPT TO BE WEIRD FOR THE SAKE OF WEIRD? Do you really need a FLYING V GUITAR?"

I would agree with you if I felt that the general metal community was actually smart enough to think that way. :)

Lots of SHEEP in metal these days, with only a few bands who rise above and are different with purpose.

I'm not dissing any of these bands for being different, and if it works, I am 100% serious about wanting to hear it. I love different stuff, that is different for being unique. It's part of the draw I have for Kayo Dot / Maudlin of the Well. Since the first CD, they we're doing something so different, and unique, not to mention the talent, made this an amazing piece of music. I never got the impression they were doing things for the "sake" of doing it. But, when I see bunch of rusty saw blades, I have to ask myself, why? Does it REALLY work in a musical sense, or is it just something to do thhat stand out? If it works for them musically, then I think it's an awesome idea.

It's sort of like a Slipknot putting on masks, and having 9 guys in the band. Is it REALLY helping the music, or is it for the sake of being different? In their case, I think it's pretty obvious the masks and gimmick made them popular, not the music. Although, I do think the new CD is a huge step forward for them musically.

azal said:
I think paul had a problem with the voivod shirt, not the warr guitar.

hahah! Naaa, I like some Voivod. I just know some sheep, I mean metal people who can't make their mark in music, so they get weird for the sake of weird, in an attempt to gain popularity. I'm all for originality if its good, and not a gimmick.

heh.

Well, what I meant regarding Neptune is that the saw blades were definitely more part of their visual aesthetic than their audial aesthetic. But they weren't "shit plus saw blades", and some of their weirdest homemade instruments actually had really unique tones (the gongy bass, for example).

xfer said:
heh.

Well, what I meant regarding Neptune is that the saw blades were definitely more part of their visual aesthetic than their audial aesthetic. But they weren't "shit plus saw blades", and some of their weirdest homemade instruments actually had really unique tones (the gongy bass, for example).

You are right. My choice of words was more or less for a laugh, then a serious opinion.

I would be afraid of busting my hands open on a rusty saw blade, as it looks as if he hits that kit with much intensity.

Check Einstürzende Neubauten for an example of good percussive experimentation. What Alex was saying about performance art definately applies to gigs.

When a band does start out using "unconventional" instruments for the sake of doing something different, the more they compose and rehearse, the more experience they'll get in effectively implementing such instruments. Also, if an instrument primarily functions as a gimmick, the musicians will most likely realise this, and try something different. Can't blame musicians for experimenting. However, if an artist has been using say, fridge magnets, for the last 2 years, and the music still doesn't work or the performance isn't enhanced, that is quite a useless addition to the music.