Kayo Dot: Your opinions on this...

In a not completely related note, when I first sat down to listen to Bath and Leaving I constantly kept thinking if the stylistically ranged approach to music came natural to the people that wrote the music, or if it was somehow laterally decided that "we're having the instrumental accoustic suite here and the death metal mayhem there and that's how it is and it couldn't be any other way and this is a recursive post-modern statement of some sort. I mean, was it curious music on purpose, or did the people that composed transcend that many genre definitions completely naturally in order to fully express themselves?

This is what November's Paul is saying about being weird for the sake of being weird, basically. You can more easily tell when people mash clashing styles together within the same song for shock value, but MotW had that beautifully arranged instrumental interlude and then doomdeath with a person growling in latin. I found it more difficult to tell in this sort of format if this was some sort of inside-joke, or a honest to god coming naturally type of deal. Something like how Faith No More had a lounge-as-lounge-is song there and then a thrash freakout song there. But no genre hopping in the same song. This game some validity to the distinct compositions as opposed to the (not always successfully) humourous juxtaposition of say, The Pixies.

What I'm trying to say is that if these bands are honestly coming up with this music (and stylistic variations) without laterally 'weirding it out' as an end in itself, then the composers responsible for the music must have very interesting emotion-to-musicl semiotic relations. However somehow Neptune's drummer suddenly saying "Right. That's it. I need a buzzsaw spash cymbal to make this song feel like it should feel" isn't a scenario I find likely.

Obviously whether or not any of the mentioned bands want to be weird or not does not mean someone can not like them, I just personally find myself confused as to the intent, and therefore the context in which I am to approach the band and the music.

Note: A Warr guitar is not a gimmick. And Voivod always seemed to me as a serious band with a clear intention. As do Kayo Dot, interestingly. CotE is a very stylistically concentrated effort, in my oppinion.

in my opinion, all those bands rule and = non-pretentious. i could see how they could be perceived as such though. however, i personally find the aesthetics of the weird instruments as actually adding to the music. amazing to watch + great music, can't ask for much more!

To put it succinctly, gimmickry isn't appealing to me but when [something unusual] works, it's great. The above 3 bands are all masterful at what they're doing.

Additionally, I think it's far worse when bands buy into traditionalism or standardism without even realizing it, and instead only think that's the "right" way to do something.

>>I think it's far worse when bands buy into traditionalism or standardism without even realizing it, and instead only think that's the "right" way to do something.<<

Hmmm, interesting thing to think about...

also i don't necessarily think there has to be this profound artistic statement being relayed in music all the time. i mean who cares if the buzzsaws conveyed some type of feeling? It was fun shit. Ever seen a punk band made up of a bunch of teenagers just having a good time? this type of absolutism and snobbiness and high-class posturing is retarded.

FuSoYa said:
anyway, i'm henceforth ceasing to participate in this conversation

I agree with what you were saying though. I found it interesting to see people take on this. It's a problem with metal these days. People feel the need to either follow the mold, or they feel they need to be different just to be different, without really fully exploring it's potential. It's the bands that are doing somethinf different, and using it to it's potential, to help make the artistic statement, and more importantly believe in what they are doing, instead of just believeing it will be their break in the scene. I applaud these bands for being creative enough to take a step and incorporate these things into their music. I think this is one of the reaso you guys can appeal to many different fans of different styles of music. As hard as I have tried, I cannot quite place Kayo Dot into a class of music, and to me, that's brilliant. I can see this working for the same as the band who makes their own instruments. Amazing idea, and if's its done well, im sure this is amazing to hear, and see as well.

FuSoYa said:
Ever seen a punk band made up of a bunch of teenagers just having a good time?

I saw a bunch of old dudes last year playing their instruments WRONG. Girl pluckin' away at her piano strings, dragging a tiny rake across'em, duct taping large sections of'em, Baron playing more rim than skin, flipping his snare over and scratching those ball-bearing thingies underneath, putting cymbals on 'is toms and smackin' em, Zorn doin' his usual clucking and farting noises. THAT was a good time.

I realize this is neither here nor there, I was just reminiscing...

Sorry.

OK, well just in this thread, a photograph of people playing instruments not bought off the shelf at Guitar Center has elicited (or at least prompted a question about) an accusation of gimmickry. And that's just timbral and textural traditionalism.