Kemper + outboard for OTB mixing

EOC

Feb 28, 2011
Hi everyone!
i want to expand "out of the box" with some gear. Im gonna get a 1176/api eq clones in lunchbox format (http://www.ovieaudio.com/)
I currently own a kemper wich i use via spdif i/o for reamping.
I was wondering if i could hook up the comp/eq (in chain with each other) to the effects loop of the kemper (and of course bypass everything else) so when i want to apply this gear to a track i can do it with the kemp via spdif.
I own a focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp.
The thought behind all of this is that i asume that the converters of the kemper are better than the ones in the interface.
Im i missing something? will impedance be an issue? would it be better to do it straightly with the audio interface?
Thanks!!!

I own a focusrite saffire pro 24 dsp.
The thought behind all of this is that i asume that the converters of the kemper are better than the ones in the interface.

Doubt it, Kempers are expensive but it's not necessarily just high quality hardware you're paying for - its the variety of inputs/outputs/options/usability. Also Kempers only really operate at 44.1 - and whilst that doesn't necessarily speak for the quality of the converters it shows that the emphasis on the unit isn't necessarily super high fidelity conversion.

What you're suggesting just seems overly convoluted, especially since A/D conversion is such a hugely overrated part of any signal chain and the last place I'd look to upgrade. Honestly I would just use the Saffire as it's probably fine and will save you hassle.

My Saffire Pro24 has less than stellar A/D converters (not sure if the dsp version uses the same chip.) Strange thing is the D/A is not bad.

A/D in the Kemper is much better even at 44.1k.

Seems like an odd and not right way to go.

Could be wrong as I don't have my kemper in front of me, but I'm pretty sure that the fx send/return is unbalanced/-10 input meant for pedals and not for balanced/+4 gear.

I'm willing to bet that running your gear through that would sound worse then any conversion your focusrite would do.

I wouldn't do it.