Who Is A Better Guitarist? IYO

• Kerry King (Slayer)

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)

Votes: 34 79.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Steve Vai beats them any day!! :p

I would vote for King, untill Slayer started doing the Unholy Alliance shit tours...So, Mustain it'll be !!

Mustaine is technically a far better guitarist who's written some memorable riffs and his solos are actually real solos not whammy rape like King, but i masturbate furiously to old school Slayer riffs so I vote King by that logic.

This must be a joke! King doesn't even know how to play a solo, why do you think I don't like Slayer at all?

@ Carnut: of course Vai beat anyone, but Blackmore beats Vai :headbang:

Naaa, but Blackmore does beat Malmsteen :p

Walter Giardino beats Malmsteen (and nobody credits him :mad:), Tony MacAlpine beats Malmsteen, big deal about it (and I love Malmsteen :lol:).

And Blackmore still rules
et.gif

Dave is clearly the better guitarist. More advanced and he knows how to play solos and such. King just makes noises and doesnt care. However some may prefer Kings stuff but Dave is better technically.

Walter Giardino beats Malmsteen (and nobody credits him :mad:), Tony MacAlpine beats Malmsteen, big deal about it (and I love Malmsteen :lol:).

And Blackmore still rules
et.gif

Yeah, Giardino beats Malmsteen (and Rata Blanca beats Yngwie discography) from here to Buenos Aires but equally he´s too much Blackmore wannabe.

By the way, King and Mustaine can´t be compared but King knows quite well how to play a solo, Wyvern. He does exactly what Slayer musical agression needs!

Who do you vote here. Both are great guitarists with similar styles, but Dave takes this one!

Similar styles? I didn't notice.. Anyway.. Mustaine of course since you asked who's the better guitarist and not which band I prefer.. when it comes to handling your instrument well, Slayer isn't exactly the band you're looking for.. also, I think you should have picked Hanneman instead of King.. at least he's trying :)

Do you mean writing wise? From a technical and playing standpoint, I don't know if there's a better shred guitarist on the planet than Yngwie. The man is so incredibly clean, precise - not to mention FAST.

Yeah, fast but I don't know how to explain this and I'm a Malmsteen fan (and I mean fan as in ALL albums and saw him live). He's master shredder I will never deny that but Blackmore, Giardino, Iommi have some feeling in their solos that Yngwie doesn't has.

Yeah, Giardino beats Malmsteen (and Rata Blanca beats Yngwie discography) from here to Buenos Aires but equally he´s too much Blackmore wannabe.

By the way, King and Mustaine can´t be compared but King knows quite well how to play a solo, Wyvern. He does exactly what Slayer musical agression needs!

a) I never said that Giardino doesn't try to copy Blackmore after all is HIS idol!
b) I will never accept that Slayer have solos, never!
sword.gif

Although I am a big fan of guitar noise, Kerry King's style is just not my cup of... anything. I'll take Mantas' air raid siren solo's over Kerry's Whammy wanking any day.

I'd vote Dave as the better guitarist just for the quality and quantity of riffs on Killing Is My Business alone,

I'll take Mantas' air raid siren solo's over Kerry's Whammy wanking any day.

Intersting you mention this (and disgressing from the main subject). Years ago a college mate told me he hated Venom but liked Mantas solos a lot, so he only record the solos :lol:. Now that I am into Venom I don't know about Mantas quality to judge really, the magic of the first three Venom albums is that they are sloppy and raw IMO, now if you check Venom last album "Hell" you'll find a very good guitar work including solos courtesy of their newest guitar player Rage (one of my top ten albums of 2008).

Intersting you mention this (and disgressing from the main subject).

Well Mantas always did use the whammy a lot, even whole riffs were sometimes just a whammy dive (Heaven's On Fire, Acid Queen). So I always imagined that Kerry picked up his playing style from there and just went nuts with it.

Years ago a college mate told me he hated Venom but liked Mantas solos a lot, so he only record the solos :lol:.

Never heard of anyone doing that before, but thats pretty cool.

Now that I am into Venom I don't know about Mantas quality to judge really, the magic of the first three Venom albums is that they are sloppy and raw IMO, now if you check Venom last album "Hell" you'll find a very good guitar work including solos courtesy of their newest guitar player Rage (one of my top ten albums of 2008).
I have to say its definantly a pick for my list of favourites in 2008 for me too.

i know for fact mustaine is more talented as i am a big fan of both and mustaine's talent is more noticeable but i simply prefer Keerry, probbably because of the golden age Slayer (Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, Seasons etc)
also i agree with TheKurroptor (if i got his name right :)) Hanneman is definetly under-rated

Do you mean writing wise? From a technical and playing standpoint, I don't know if there's a better shred guitarist on the planet than Yngwie. The man is so incredibly clean, precise - not to mention FAST.

Technically Ynggie could be better than Walter but personally I consider he has no feeling at all outside a song. Enery time I´ve seen Yngwie playing live is a kind of solo after solo with no sense. Giardino, at less, knows how to structure his solo parts. Like Wyvern said it´s a matter of feeling.

However, I love a lot of Yngwie albums too ("Trilogy", "Marching out", "Odyssey", "Magnum opus", "Facing the animal" :headbang:)