Atlanta
www.torquestra.com
Sad news...

http://www.cjonline.com/news/local/2009-09-01/kerry_livgren_falls_ill

Kerry Livgren falls ill

By Mike Hall
Created September 1, 2009 at 4:24pm
Updated September 1, 2009 at 5:23pm

Kerry Livgren, most famous for his years with the rock band Kansas, is described as in "serious, but stable condition," following a stroke in the early hours of Tuesday.
Information available on the Internet indicate he is 59 years old.
His sister, Emalie Hunt, confirmed the news for The Topeka Capital-Journal on Tuesday afternoon.
She said Livgren is resting in a Topeka hospital and the family asks for prayers for him and that everyone respect the family's privacy.
A native Topekan, Livgren was a co-founder of the group Kansas in 1970. He played guitar and keyboard and was principal songwriter.
His hits included "Carry On Wayward Son" and "Dust in the Wind." An evangelical Christian, he began moving into Christian music even while still with Kansas. In 1983 he left the group to form a new band, AD. Between 1983 and 1986, the new band released two albums and toured extensively.
According to his Web site, in 1994 he moved from Atlanta back to Topeka where he created his production company Grandyzine and record company Numavox Records. He constructed a state-of-the-art recording and production facility in a restored barn on his farm southeast of Topeka.
Lately he has resumed work on what he calls the most ambitious work of his career, "Cantata: The Resurrection Lazarus." He has been working on it for 20 years. It will be an orchestral and vocal composition. It is based on the Biblical story from John, chapter 11.

Sad news indeed. Kansas is one of my favorite bands, and they are certainly one of the greatest American Prog/Rock bands.

Wishing Kerry a full recovery...

Steph

That is sad news, indeed. Kerry is one of the reasons why (at least) half of the bands that play this festival exist. Folks who suffer strokes usually are never the same after the fact. That said, I hope for the best for him and his family.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I wish the best to Kerry and his family. kerry was one of the best songwriters to ever come along.

Here's the latest on Kerry:

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2009-09-02/livgren_quiet_but_aware

Livgren quiet, but aware

By The Capital-Journal
Created September 2, 2009 at 10:50am
Updated September 2, 2009 at 4:32pm

Surgery on Christian musician and former Kansas band member Kerry Livgren, who suffered a stroke earlier this week, "went well," a family member said Wednesday.
Now it is just a matter of waiting for signs of his recovery, said Jake Livgren, his nephew.
Jake is confined at home with an illness but said Wednesday he is in frequent contact with other members of the family.
He said it is too early to tell how well Kerry Livgren will recover because he spends most of his time asleep. He hasn't talked yet following the stroke, but Jake said he recognizes family members and will squeeze a hand in recognition.
Danl Blackwood, one of Kerry Livgren's friends, also is in contact with the family and has been posting updates of his condition on Blackwood's Facebook page.
Blackwood wrote Wednesday he has been receiving a lot of questions about where people could send get well cards.
Don't send them to the Topeka hospital where Livgren is being treated, Blackwood said. In fact, the family hasn't divulged which hospital he is in.
Blackwood is urging people to send mail to Livgren's post office box: Numavox, P.O. Box 44, Berryton, Kan., 66409.
Earlier Wednesday, Blackwood reported Livgren's family is "encouraged that Kerry does not appear to have any 'sagging of the face.' The area of the brain which had the clot deals with the language/high-end skills. They are praying there is little damage to the area. A CAT-scan is scheduled for later today."
Blackwood also relayed the message that the family expresses "immense gratitude to everyone for lifting Kerry up in prayer."
Livgren, 59, is best known to many as a founder and member of the 1970s rock band Kansas. But in recent years he has become a Christian music artist and producer from his home studio southeast of Topeka.

Very sad news. I hope he makes a full recovery.

I interviewed Kerry back in the early 1990s. Asked him about 45 minutes worth of questions about prog rock, Kansas, his solo work, etc. He's an extremely eloquent guy. Very intelligent.

Kansas remains one of my all-time favorite bands, and Kerry one of my favorite guitarist/songwriters.

Get well soon, Kerry!

Bill

From www.melodicrock.com :
Kerry Livgren has put up an update about his stroke, and his journey over the last few months. Quite an amazing read folks - www.numavox.com/mystroke.html

"I had enjoyed good health for all of my life, except for an occasional bout with a cold. After reaching 50, I was more vigilant, but there was never a need to see a doctor. My cholesterol and blood pressure were at modest levels, and I got plenty of exercise here at the farm. I thought I had nothing to worry about, but that was about to change...."

From www.melodicrock.com :
Kerry Livgren has put up an update about his stroke, and his journey over the last few months. Quite an amazing read folks - www.numavox.com/mystroke.html

"I had enjoyed good health for all of my life, except for an occasional bout with a cold. After reaching 50, I was more vigilant, but there was never a need to see a doctor. My cholesterol and blood pressure were at modest levels, and I got plenty of exercise here at the farm. I thought I had nothing to worry about, but that was about to change...."

An amazing read from an amazing man.

Kerry is an inspiration.

Thanks for posting this update.

Bill

Wow, that was very inspirational. Always liked Kerry, but lost touch with him and his work. I will be sure to follow his progress in health, music and faith much more closely now. Really hope he finishes Cantata: The Resurrection Lazarus. I usupect he will be more inspired and driven now and it might take some pretty epic turns considering his ordeal.

Via www.melodicrock.com :

"Kerry Livgren, who wrote such songs as "Dust in the Wind" and "Carry On Wayward Son" has released a new album with his band Proto-Kaw. Livgren shared the recovery process of his stroke with www.classicrockrevisited.com, "At first, I couldn't play a guitar, or a keyboard. In fact, I couldn't even give music any serious thought. I was much more concerned with things like walking and talking.
As soon as there was some improvement in those areas, I tried playing a piano, with no real success. When I got home, I tried playing a guitar, and it was, in fact, worse. I honestly thought I would never play music again. It was disappointing but the thought occurred to me that I had been given such a great gift - a gratifying career of playing music, that if I never played another note, it was enough. Thank the Lord I am still improving. At this point, I have resumed playing both guitar and keyboard, although I have to be choosy about what I attempt."
Proto-Kaw's new album Forth is out. "There are 12 songs, one song was previously recorded with Proto-Kaw, one we used to play live, but never recorded, and two vastly different songs that I have recorded. The rest of them are new." "

Glad I read to the end... realized this was a resurrected thread.

I saw Kansas at Center Stage (hah!) in 1990. Around that same time, Kerry came into the bar/restaurant where I worked, and the female guitarist/singer's set ALWAYS contained "Dust in the Wind." She had no idea Kerry was eating a salad with some tea at a corner table. She later saw him and had to run to the bathroom before puking her guts out out of shock.

He tracked her down before he left and they talked a bit - he is a really classy, talented, intelligent man.

I was sadly disappointed on my listen of the "Fourth" album. Livgren has continued to get softer, pop and jazzy. Also, Jake Livgren does almost all the singing. Not that Jake has a bad voice, but it's more a solo Livgren disc than a Proto-Kaw album. There are only a few fleeting moments of good music, or performance, on this album. Even the one remake is weak and worse than the original. My first impression is a lame and boring album. Livgren can, and has, done better. I'll give it another try in a few days.