Keyboard Players Thread

Kochon

Fuck.
May 25, 2007
Montréal
www.ahhahh.com
Why not?

I'm going to start with a simple question. Is there a patch or whatever for the X5 that gives a few of the Bodom sounds? A guy once sent me an X50 one, which I use all the time, but an X5 one would be kewl.

BTW, I know that Janne uses a shitload of racks, like the JV-2080 (I'm getting it in a few weeks also) and other racks/pedals, but I guess the X5's a beginning.

Oh, bottom-line edit : I did search for a keyboard thread, didn't find any, so if there is already one, I'm sorry, but the search function is broken.

I'm getting good, my ear is developping these days. Example, I learned the Downfall piano parts by ear, including the arpeggios. I was surprised, I honestly thought my hear totally sucked.

I can play some piano/keys. Piano parts translate into guitar pretty well though so i usually just do that and play it that way. However as a project for a music theory class i took(i HAAAAAATTTEEEEEEE music theory) i had to write a song, and play it on a keyboard.

Well there's of course the Harpsichord used in a lot of Something Wild and for example the Kissing the Shadows chorus.. many of Janne's sounds are quite basic.. strings and such.. other than that I think Janne uses other devices to create the sounds. I've enjoyed tossing and experimenting with different standard sounds but when keyboard stuff gets to the computer bit I stop cuz I don't understand that..

Still waiting for Janne to answer whether it was him or Tägtgren who created the awesome keyboard ideas of the new album. Judging from the past, it has to be Tägtgren.

I've played piano around 9 years but then I got into heavy metal and guitars so I haven't played for almost 10 years. But now I'm totaly into piano playing again but only classical versions of movie themes, songs or games (like Braveheart, Hate me, Gothic 3 - to mention one example for each genre). I think I will learn the intro from Killing me, killing you the next days. Old but great song!

Most of Janne's sounds come from the jv-2080 module with the orchestral expansion board. The X5 synthesis engine is pretty flexible, you can create just about any sound with it, just gotta be good at picking out the different elements of a sound and recreating them. The lead sound was a patch created by jens put through a big muff distortion pedal. I've tried to make a few sounds on my X5D, got a much better harpsichord than the preset, and a downfally intro type sound. I made a lead following the tutorial at progsounds.com which came out alright. Just gotta fiddle around with it alot.

I hate keyboards. Good old piano/harpsichord for me! I would also like to play the organ some day. :)

Most of Janne's sounds come from the jv-2080 module with the orchestral expansion board. The X5 synthesis engine is pretty flexible, you can create just about any sound with it, just gotta be good at picking out the different elements of a sound and recreating them. The lead sound was a patch created by jens put through a big muff distortion pedal. I've tried to make a few sounds on my X5D, got a much better harpsichord than the preset, and a downfally intro type sound. I made a lead following the tutorial at progsounds.com which came out alright. Just gotta fiddle around with it alot.

Downfall = Roland JV-2080 "Jimme Dee". It's a goddamn preset, it's fucking funny. Well not THAT funny but w/e.

But thanks for that link my friend.

Edit :
Proof that the JV owns your mothers. I'd like to get this guy post in here.

Edit2 : http://www.progsounds.com/tutorials/jens-johansson-lead/

Edit3: When you talk about that orchestral expansioin thing, is it this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-SR-JV80-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3c9beccb40

Last edited by a moderator:
When someone doesn't have like a few thousands to buy a piano which would only have one sound. What I liek about the keyboards amongst other things is that it's so much flexible. You can basically play any instrument through it, and have virtually any sound possible.

By the way now that SOB is dead, anyone remembers what keytar Janne used in a few gigs? Like TW.

Ye kochon, that's the one, i need to buy one at some point along with the 2080 itself :rofl:

The keytar janne used was a roland ax-1, good luck finding one these days though, the prices are ridiculous for what is literally a funnily shaped midi controller.

I'm thinking about getting an xv-3080 or 5080 instead of the jv-2080 as the prices seem to be similar

I found this really epic way of building yourself a rack : http://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...onic-music-production/366597-ikea-rescue.html

Ikea :worship:

Btw, I'm getting a few racks, but I have 3 confirmed ones, The Triton-Rack, so I wouldn't need my X50 anymore (virtually), of course the JV 2080, and the Korg M3R. That's alot of money.

I'm also going to get the expansion boards for the JV2080. The orchestral one for the strings and violins, and maybe one for voices and stuff.

I'm about to buy a brand new xv-5080 on ebay for £390, some company in south korea found 22 in their warehouse that they never sold. $2495 brand new :rofl: Need to get my hands on an srx-06 expansion which contains the 4 decent jv-2080 expansions and i'm sorted.

niiiiice mein lieber :)
gefällt mir echt gut. Welches haste denn genau? Wie lange spielste schon Klavier? Sah net leicht aus :D