Status
Not open for further replies.

Altitudes

Stay Frosty
Jun 18, 2007
California
...go back to the "ASK" thread and please answer my questions :mad:

These...

Yo Janne, some more serious questions for you: What is the most difficult CoB riff or solo for you to play (I'm guessing the Mask of Sanity solo or Chokehold solo)? Also, aside from the new material for the album, what piano pieces have you been studying/practicing lately?

Is there going to be acoustic piano parts in any of the new songs? In the studio photos there was a grand piano, was it just for practicing?

When you solo, do you transpose to fit the key? Like -1 step or -2 steps? Or do you leave it as is and play most your stuff in the key of D minor? (or the new down-tuned crap in C minor)

Which keyboard do you prefer, the Korg X5 or the X50? Or neither?

And the "Would there be any Janne Warman's Instructional DVD" ? was a good one too but...

Leave him free, poor Janne :(

Edit: I was thinking of that and actually, the "Ask Janne" is a good idea but it sure should be a lot of job for Janne. I think the Ask Janne should be open everytime but the first post (by the Webmaster actually) should be edited everytime there's a new interesting question with that question and the poster in it, so Janne shoudl need to read that only post and don't go throught all those shitty question and flaming about those shitty question.

This way people would be able to "try" a question, if someone knows the actual real and pefect answer he can answer it, if not and if it's an interesting question it goes in the first post.

That is a very good idea, Fetzer. But I'm considering this Janne account a joke. I mean, I don't think he would close his own thread from more posts and only view the "Street team" thread for like 5 minutes while he was on (considering it is a good opportunity to promote the band more, something that probably concerns the Webmaster).

tl;dr - Fake account.

IMO you had a great idea. It could end up being a bit difficult to choose the ''acceptable'' questions, because maybe someone would give an answer and then the one who asked would want a ''more accurate'' answer, but if this is controlled, it can be a great idea.

Altitudes said:
That is a very good idea, Fetzer. But I'm considering this Janne account a joke. I mean, I don't think he would close his own thread from more posts and only view the "Street team" thread for like 5 minutes while he was on (considering it is a good opportunity to promote the band more, something that probably concerns the Webmaster).

tl;dr - Fake account.

If he can close threads and that, this power must have been given by the mods, and someone prettending to make an account like that surely will have proved before that he is the real one IMO.

^Post jump, asshole :lol:

Edit: Double post jump, actualy...

tl;dr - Fake account.

Don't know dude, he's a moderator on here. A fake account that wouldn't have been controlled before wouldn't be moderator you know. I think Janne is just pissed of about that board and all the shit he can read on it sometimes so he doesn't care anymore.

IMO you had a great idea. It could end up being a bit difficult to choose the ''acceptable'' questions, because maybe someone would give an answer and then the one who asked would want a ''more accurate'' answer, but if this is controlled, it can be a great idea.

Well, I don't mean being a "nazi" and not accpeting 90% of the questions, but questions like "What are you using to tilt your keyboard?" and "How can I have your lead sounds?" are easy to answer, at least for me or even, people most admit it, Joonas, who is actualy a keyboardist and know some shit about.

I don't mean tho choosing only 4 question every month, but just clearing the easy one.

For exemple Altitude's question about transposing, I gave my own opinion about that and said it was my opinion. I would probably choose it to ask janne, and if he say "Yes" or "No" that would be all right, the why would be easy to clear up for us after that. "No he doesn't cause he doesn't need to do it" or "Yes he does it cause some songs are transposed too on the guitar so he doesn't want to relearn them", but we can't answer cause we nned a Yes or a No, Janne wouldn't need to write us a book about that after.

I've came to the conclusion he DOES transpose -2 (1 whole step down). Just like when Alexi says "Alright, here is a lick in E minor with some arpeggios", since his guitar is tuned down a whole step, it's actually in D minor. To remove confusion in the band, Janne transposes down a whole step, just like the rest of the instruments, and plays in "E minor" (or whatever the song calls for).

Additionally, you can tell in live video preformances.

Just like when Alexi says "Alright, here is a lick in E minor with some arpeggios", since his guitar is tuned down a whole step, it's actually in D minor.

Short answer, no. If it's in E minor, it's in E minor - whether the guitar is downtuned or not. If it is, he plays everything a semitone higher than he normally would to compensate. To assume otherwise would defeat the purpose of naming the key.

To remove confusion in the band, Janne transposes down a whole step, just like the rest of the instruments, and plays in "E minor" (or whatever the song calls for).

That, too, is quite illogical. Transposing on keyboards isn't necessary to achieve a lower pitch (under most circumstances) like it is on a guitar/bass. For that reason, transposing a keyboard has little purpose aside from changing a piece/scale/chord's fingering. The rest of the band is unaffected by this so long as all notes can be played without transposition.

Short answer, no. If it's in E minor, it's in E minor - whether the guitar is downtuned or not. If it is, he plays everything a semitone higher than he normally would to compensate. To assume otherwise would defeat the purpose of naming the key.

That, too, is quite illogical. Transposing on keyboards isn't necessary to achieve a lower pitch (under most circumstances) like it is on a guitar/bass. For that reason, transposing a keyboard has little purpose aside from changing a piece/scale/chord's fingering. The rest of the band is unaffected by this so long as all notes can be played without transposition.

lolwut? I'm not gonna restate everything I said previous but he does transpose down 1 whole step. VISUALLY, the band plays their instruments in the key of E minor (for the most part). Even though Janne is down 1 step, he plays as if it were normal as what looks to be E minor, but tonally it is D minor. If you watch any Alexi instructional, he shows a lick (and states it) in E minor but since he is tuned down 1 step, we know tonally the lick is in D. :loco:

Have you ever read old posts that Janne has posted? Do you really think all those have been faked?

Somehow I don't think that e.g. webmaster would entertain him self by playing role of drunken Janne and Alexi in this board...but what I know...Honestly I wonder why he even bothers to read this board.

^sigh. What Altitudes said sounds more logical. it avoids confusion with everyone.
EDIT: lol double post jumped. im so tired from work it takes me ages to think of what i will say

Have you ever read old posts that Janne has posted? Do you really think all those have been faked?

Somehow I don't think that e.g. webmaster would entertain him self by playing role of drunken Janne and Alexi in this board...but what I know...Honestly I wonder why he even bothers to read this board.

Don't you know Janne in real life? If you ever see him again, clear everything up :lol:

lolwut? I'm not gonna restate everything I said previous but he does transpose down 1 whole step. VISUALLY, the band plays their instruments in the key of E minor (for the most part). Even though Janne is down 1 step, he plays as if it were normal as what looks to be E minor, but tonally it is D minor. If you watch any Alexi instructional, he shows a lick (and states it) in E minor but since he is tuned down 1 step, we know tonally the lick is in D. :loco:

I won't deny that Janne transposes - my point is that if he does, it isn't for those reasons. Any musician knows that the key of anything (chord/piece/scale) being played is irrelevant to the tuning of the instrument that it's played on - if it's in E Minor, it is played in E Minor (albeit with different positions) whether the guitar is in E Standard or downtuned to B.

Yeah, but when the band understands the chord progression to be, for example, E-C-D, Janne doesn't play D-A#-C, that wouldn't be easy to follow nor logical. ALL the instruments are down 1 to save confusion, surely you must have some idea what I mean.

...go back to the "ASK" thread and please answer my questions :mad:

These...

When you solo, do you transpose to fit the key? Like -1 step or -2 steps? Or do you leave it as is and play most your stuff in the key of D minor? (or the new down-tuned crap in C minor)

There is something I wanna clear up about this whole tune thing. Like you all "know" here, I have tuned my keyboard one whole step down. (Just to make Everytime solo easier as I red here) If one plays in a band with down tuned instruments such as guitars I personally think you would reach a completely new level of retardness (beyond or equal to this forum) if you would not transpose your keyboard down one whole step accordingly. Communicating with ones bandmates is so much easier when if someone asks you to play a E-note and you press one on your keyboard it actually is the same E-note he was referring to. Amazing.
Another thing that a lot of people (even guitar players) dont seem to understand that if a one whole step downtuned guitar is then "dropped" meaning the low E is downtuned one more whole step, the lowest string does not became a C. Even the guitar was already downtuned one whole step the lowest string is D. (so no theres no new downtuned crap in C, just in D)
I just read the question again and this ofcourse applies to EVERYTHING I play not just solos.

Status
Not open for further replies.