Keyboard Solos

I usually don't like keyboard sounds at all, but it depends on what keyboards are used. When for instance the Mini Moog and other synthezisers started to pop up in the middle/late 60's they were great, cause they gave a sound that wasn't heard before. A song some of you might know is John Barry's theme for the James Bond movie "On her majesty's secret service" and if you listen to this song (which is GREAT!) it has a fat sound on the synth. Also George Duke's record "Feel" (which also is great!) there's loads of synths (as he's a pianist) and it sounds good, but the way I see it, the synth thing started to become crap in the 80's (or late 70's with songs like "Funkytown"), as now synths didn't make sounds other instruments couldn't do. They replaced the other instruments. This is also one of the reasons why i hate the 80's, because it were flooded with keyboards that made sounds of guitars, strings, basses, drums and so on. I have Dream Theater's "Images and words" and I think this also has this 80's keyboard shit, even though it's a good record. When for instance they (not Dream Theater particularly) want a sound of some kind of bells, they just find it on the keyboard instead of playing it on the real instrument. All this is the reason why I don't really like keyboards! They are some few keyboard sounds I like, such as the sound used by Type O Negative and Thorns. For Instance on Thorns' song "Underneath the Universe" they are som very spooky and creepy keyboard sounds. I also think it adds to Type O's spooky moods that they have the keyboard sounds they have. For Instance in the ending piece of "Everything dies" it's spooky stuff! They also have a few keyboard solos, but as with their riffs, their solos are very simple and is mostly a variation of the melody of the song. A such solo is the one on "Bloody Kisses". It's piano, so maybe this doesn't count as keyboard, but I think they just pushed "piano" on their keyboard. Another spooky part is the ending part in "Be my druidess" (Where Peter sings "I'll do anything to make you come").
I like piano though! A song like Teddy Wilson's version of "'Round midnight" is absolutely fantastic!!!!!! Among the three best songs I've EVER heard!!! It's just piano and some drums. You should this song out Misanthrope! In my opinion it's much better than Thelonious Monk's original. A song like Oscar Peterson's "Wheatland" is also a fantastic song with really nice piano!

Originally posted by Misanthrope
You people are idiots, solos are not for keyboard? How old you think the guitar is as an instrument? 200 years? and its not that much. Just how many years you think the piano has been around? This is classical metalfanboy know-it-all attitude i suggest that if you take 1/1000 of the keyboard solo's ever made to say keyboard solos suck and that is not a solo instrument, you will never be able to be taken seriously in any music debate again for the rest of your patetic metalsheep stupid depressing pointless empty and miserable life.

You guys think that just because some glam idiots do keyboard solos you know what piano is, some idiot ( gee, a finnish rockstar imbecile, who would have guessed ) say is not a solo instrument, so i guess everyone who ever liked jazz should jump out of the window right now, we should go spit in Monks and Evan's graves cause "keyboards arent solo instrument". This was good, a close mindedness test.

Hey Alceste, there is a WORLD of difference between Monk and 80s synth sounds.
In my opinion some tracks are ruined by nasty noise whereas Monk pretty much rocks, being a "virtuoso" without coating everything with layers of glistening toss. Same for ANY instrument, especially the axe.
Right, I'm going to "jump out of the window right now" and get on with my "patetic metalsheep stupid depressing pointless empty and miserable life.":lol:

Originally posted by Misanthrope
You people are idiots, solos are not for keyboard? How old you think the guitar is as an instrument? 200 years? and its not that much. <snip> You guys think that just because some glam idiots do keyboard solos you know what piano is

And you think you know everything about guitar's history just because you happen to play guitar?

Realistically, the guitar can be traced back to the 15th century, Spain, but even earlir references to other instruments very similar to guitar can be found. Get your facts straight before you start spewing your hasty comments you fat Mexican.

The first version of modern piano was mentioned in the 18th century, "A Hammer Hapsichord", which used small leather covered hammers. So not even a piano yet.

you will never be able to be taken seriously in any music debate again for the rest of your patetic metalsheep stupid depressing pointless empty and miserable life.

Oeh noes!!1!111

I'm devastated, darling.

some idiot say(s) (that) (piano/keyboard) is not a solo instrument

Would you like to borrow my glasses? You're ugly enough even when not squinting and struggling to see these tiny chains of letters on your screen.

I said:
I don't see the keyboard even as a potential solo instrument.

I don't mention piano. In the context of this topic the word "keyboard" is used to point to digital instruments and keyboards, synthesizers and such.

And by the word "solo" I don't mean "playing alone".

This was good, a close mindedness test.

:lol: indeed!

The fact of the matter is that any instrument can potentially be used as a great solo instrument, it's all a matter of who does it and how it's done.

To say that keyboards are not a solo instrument is rather pathetic as it has a place in rock history just along side the guitar. If you don't like it, that's fine, listen to something else, but don't come saying that it's not suited as a solo instrument because that is just rediculous.

As for the debate on which instrument is the oldest, the piano came in the 1700/1800's and was a derivative of the old harpsichords used in the 1600's baroque era.

The electric guitar was really invented in the 30's by some black dude, yet was arguably but populistically believed to be invented in the 50's by the Gibson Co. and the musician Les Paul.

depends on the setting. the "wah" sound on a keyboard isn't great, but, for example, the harpsichord (is it harpsichord?) at the beginning of 'dark towers of abyss' (rhapsody - symphony of the enchanted land) are very cool.

case in point

I said Keyboards sucked as solo instruments NOT pianos or whatever. Keyboards are pretty useful though, for a songs backing or synth or ambient sound but solos?! Ugh. Even Children of Bodom's keyboardist Warmen (A fairly melodic keyboard-soloist) mentioned that keyboards were just some "plastic shit" and said that playing a real piano was the real deal. So true, it just sounds more mature and natural. Unlike keyboards which is just samples put together just like a Dj Machine. I think all prog bands would sound better if they'd limit their (ab)use of keyboards coz its just not musical!. ESPECIALLY that truly FUCKING ANNOYING cartoon keyboard solo in Dream Theaters "Fatal Tragedy?". I have heard some lame excuses for showing off technical abilities but NONE as lame as that. It's supposed to be psychadellic in a way. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Orchid

And you think you know everything about guitar's history just because you happen to play guitar?

Realistically, the guitar can be traced back to the 15th century, Spain, but even earlir references to other instruments very similar to guitar can be found. Get your facts straight before you start spewing your hasty comments you fat Mexican.

The first version of modern piano was mentioned in the 18th century, "A Hammer Hapsichord", which used small leather covered hammers. So not even a piano yet.

Oeh noes!!1!111

I'm devastated, darling.

Would you like to borrow my glasses? You're ugly enough even when not squinting and struggling to see these tiny chains of letters on your screen.

I said:

I don't mention piano. In the context of this topic the word "keyboard" is used to point to digital instruments and keyboards, synthesizers and such.

And by the word "solo" I don't mean "playing alone".

:lol: indeed!

You mean the lute? I took classical guitar and i also seen lute players, the techniques are even far away from classical guitar, they are too different from modern guitar to be considered anything but an antecesor, the guitar as we know it began in the 30s, the piano as we know it began way before that. Synths there is a great difference there and it should be talked on another debate cause synths can reproduce piano sounds and if the keyboard player doesnt uses more typical sounds then its not really a problem since it can be changed literally with the touch of a button.

And consider that previous reference to synth stuff, and you really get to the point were piano and keyboard is about the same thing, You perhaps dont care for maybe 1/100th of the different voices a keyboard can use and you perhaps dont care about 1/100th of the bands that commonly use those voices to play and solo, you still as close minded as it gets if you sey Keyboards are not a solo instrument.

Its also funny that you mention my "bias" to guitar when im saying keyboard is the most complete instrument there is and you say keyboards are not really ideal for solo's, i guess i must be crazy then.

You really disappoint me, you somehow think you can get away with the stuff only someone like I can get away with, childish remarks about my weight wont make your point any valid, if anything, they'll just show than your 2 patetic arguments are weak and that you just refuse to accept that you made a mistake saying keyboards are not a solo instrument.

Originally posted by Prophetix
I said Keyboards sucked as solo instruments NOT pianos or whatever. Keyboards are pretty useful though, for a songs backing or synth or ambient sound but solos?! Ugh. Even Children of Bodom's keyboardist Warmen (A fairly melodic keyboard-soloist) mentioned that keyboards were just some "plastic shit" and said that playing a real piano was the real deal. So true, it just sounds more mature and natural. Unlike keyboards which is just samples put together just like a Dj Machine. I think all prog bands would sound better if they'd limit their (ab)use of keyboards coz its just not musical!. ESPECIALLY that truly FUCKING ANNOYING cartoon keyboard solo in Dream Theaters "Fatal Tragedy?". I have heard some lame excuses for showing off technical abilities but NONE as lame as that. It's supposed to be psychadellic in a way. :rolleyes:

I see i get no decent debate out of any finnish people, but you perhaps have interseting views. Lets take your example about CoB, you dislike their solo's maybe because of their sound, what if the band choosed to click literally 1 button and change the sound of it to something like a clasic piano? The style of the solo might sound a tad odd, but I for once would be extremely interested in seen how that works. I think its only fair to see that what you dont like are certain synth sounds that sound like taken out of a nintendo right? Blaming it all on keyboard and piano is just a bit unfair is like you living in the 80s and saying guitar sucks cause you hate how a guitar with wah sounds. Not fair things can ( and did ) change, they could ( and in some acts they are ) change for keyboards too, it just takes 1 keyboard player to change everyone's opinion.

And i too believe the song is dance of eternity, and call me crazy but is not supposed to be technical or showoff, its supposed to be funy. Take a look at some of the home videos portnoy films when he gets to that guy and his keyboards he is ALWAYS goofing around with cartoon melodies that crack you up. Besides he could do way better than that if showing up was his intention.