Keyboard Solos

Some keyboard soloists are just godawful... like Jordan Rudess... and I don't like keyboard solos that are structured like guitar solos... but they only sound worse due to the sound...

For some great keyboard solos try Enchant's "My Everafter" or Evergrey's "Watching the Skies".

I personally love a good keyboard solo - of course, like anything else, if done right. I've heard poor guitar and drum solos. A few good keyboard solos that come to mind from days gone by:

Smokin - Boston
Rat Bat Blue - Deep Purple
Most anything from Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Many from Yes

When I saw Dimmu Borgir, I thought the keyboards completed my musical enjoyment of them. I'm a sucker for guitar solos, but, too many people knock keyboards for no real musical reason. A keyboard has its limitations (like bending notes), but that does not make it a lesser instrument. And I have yet to hear a genre of music where a keyboard would not fit in.

actually, keyboardsists often use pitchbend to bend notes.

I think Bodom's keyboard solos are unnecessary, mainly because they're exactly the same as the guitar solos, are they written by Alexi as well by any chance?

Originally posted by phon1c
actually, keyboardsists often use pitchbend to bend notes.

I think Bodom's keyboard solos are unnecessary, mainly because they're exactly the same as the guitar solos, are they written by Alexi as well by any chance?

I tend to agree here but I want to stretch this....I love keyboards and the atmosphere they create, but keyboard solos often comes off as cheesy and unnecessary, why use keyboard when there are guitars? They simply sound much better.

I like synths if they are making hard and mechanical sounds, like in Neurosis and Cult of Luna´s music, othervise a classic piano sounds much better.

I like keyboards. I think if you're music is very shreddy and melodic (like Children of Bodom and Dream Theater) you should use your excellent keyboardist to their full potential. Just because you don't like the way a synth sounds doesn't mean it's horrible.

By the way, I don't see how you guys think Jordan Rudess isn't emotional enough. Listen to "Through My Words" "Fatal Tragedy" or "One Last Time" and tell me there is no emotion there.

Originally posted by poldarn
I tend to agree here but I want to stretch this....I love keyboards and the atmosphere they create, but keyboard solos often comes off as cheesy and unnecessary, why use keyboard when there are guitars? They simply sound much better.

I agree... a keyboard solo should be something unique and different... it shouldn't be an imitation of a guitar solo. If keyboards could sound like a guitar, the guitar would have been replaced already.

Very few of the Bodom key solos are exactly the same as the guitar. Off the top of my head all i can think of is Bed of Razors and War of Razors.

Originally posted by poptartofdeath
Very few of the Bodom key solos are exactly the same as the guitar. Off the top of my head all i can think of is Bed of Razors and War of Razors.

War of what?

doesn't sound like a bodom song to me.