Favorite Avantgarde metal band pianist/keyboard player

Who is your favorite avantgarde metal keyboard/piano/synthesizer player?

• Steinar "Sverd" Johnson (Arcturus, ex-Kovenant, ex-Satyricon)

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Andy Winter (Winds, Age Of Silence)

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Lars Are "Lazare" Nedland (Solefald, Borknagar, Vintersorg)

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Mirai Kawashima (Sigh, Necrophagia)

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

karpsmom

May 25, 2005
New Jersey, USA
I'm sorry if I missed any avantgarde metal keyboard/piano players, but I wanted to keep the list short, and I think most people can agree that these four are considered the most popular keyboard/piano players in the avantgarde genre of metal. Picking for me was very hard.

Sverd is a very enjoyable player, and he's created some very beautiful solos, but in the end he's never stood out immensely on his own to me. I think he is good because of what he does in the whole of Arcturus' music. None the less, Sverd still has some EXCELLENT moments that stand out on their own, like the intermezzo of "For To End Yet Again" by Arcturus. He also has a strong knack for giving the music an extra powerful symphonic edge compared to other bands in the avantgarde style.

Andy has some of the most elegant pieces ever. He uses a beautiful piano tone, and has fantastic speed and angular, colorful playing. I think out of the four of these men, Andy is the most capable on his own. Thankfully, he has proven this with his solo album! In a genre that mostly relies on keyboards and synthesizers, Andy's use of piano really stands out. His piano's tone is bright and solid, and it really shines in both of his bands. And in the end, he still knows when to apply synthesizers, i.e. in "A Song For D. Incorporated" by Age Of Silence.

Lars is a very good player. He plays very nice accompaniments in Borknagar and Solefald, and throughout his career in Solefald, he has created some very creative and beautiful pieces and solos. He also has a good grasp on what kind of keyboard or piano to use for each song/album. His use of acoustic piano in certain parts, hammond organ in others, sythesized choir in others, etc. proves that sometimes something can be very simple, but with the proper tone and sound, it can be perfect for a piece. He also has some very good solos like in "Nutrisco Et Exinguo" by Solefald.

Mirai is probably the most varied keyboard/piano player in the style. He applies a WIDE range of keyboards/pianos/synthesizers which results in the utmost ideal tones and moods every moment of Sigh's music. He is also an exceptional player, capable of playing fast runs and solos, and writing beautiful lush classical style pieces (i.e. "Gundali", "Impromptu [Allegro Maestoso]" etc.). Throughout Sigh's existance, Mirai has recorded some beautiful, emotional solo piano pieces for each of Sigh's albums. His application of so many different instruments ranging from the mini-moog, to the Hammond b-3, to the grand piano, to the Fender Rhodes, etc. gives Sigh's music a wonderful unique feel, giving each section the perfect sound and style. His capable style has also graced the death metal band, Necrophagia, but I've never heard them, all I know he is in the band as their keyboard player.

Everyone, let's try to be honest! Don't just say Andy because he browses this forum! :p I know it's a hard decision for a lot of people. It's a very hard decision for me. I'm torn between Andy and Mirai. Both are so capable on their own, but they are both in such different bands.

As for me, it was pretty hard too, because I like them all. There's also ExoD from Unexpect that should be added to this list. Their instrumental Chromatic Chimera. Well, that's it. All of them are people I look up to as a keyboard player myself. All of them inspire me to a certain degree. But,, mostly, it is Sverd that influences me the most, as his style is not 100% innaccessible to my very limited knowledge of keyboard. And, I really loved what he did on Nexus Polaris.

But, it is hard to choose between them all.

niniel said:
There's also ExoD from Unexpect that should be added to this list. Their instrumental Chromatic Chimera.
Oh yea, he is a very good player, I'm really really really looking forward to the new album!

Sverd played keys on "The Shadowthrone" by Satyricon

Sigh is not at all goth metal, they just apply a dark feel to a lot of their songs that ignorant people might call gothic, but they are japanese. They are one of the best metal bands ever! I can't reccommend them enough. Their albums are all very different though. My first reccommendations are "Imaginary Soundscapes" (my favorite Sigh album) and "Hail Horror Hail" (a fucking amazing album in every sense of the word. You can read some pretty good reviews here:

http://www.ssmt-reviews.com/db/searchrev.php?artistID=1015&showReview=true

and you can check out the ultimate Sigh fan site for information on each album http://sigh.gospel-virus.net/discography.htm

If you'd like, I'll even send you some sample mp3's over AIM or MSN, just tell me if you want me too.

You don't find yourself being quite rediculous posting this poll here? Regardless of who's who, this thread belongs to a forum pertaining Mr. Winter's projects. Don't you think the results of this poll will be a little skeptical? I am not trying to be a dick or anything, i'm just saying that this poll is a little inert :Smug:. sorry.

That's right! This is MY forum!! So I expect to win by a landslide, or else I will shut down the entire forum!!

What famous rock star personality did I just sound like? 10 points to the first one who can guess it!

Now just to point that out, I also believe I suggested to make a poll about who is the "best" - not people's "favorite" which is an entirely different thing. ;)

But I think what Realization meant is that having the poll here will be biased in my favor because this is a Winds forum, so the people visiting it may already be predisposed to favoring me above the others.

In any event, this is all in good fun, and of course nobody including Sverd, Lazare or myself is going to take any offense or be upset by the results.
Now excuse me while I go vote for myself :D

Regards,
Andy

Andy Winter said:
That's right! This is MY forum!! So I expect to win by a landslide, or else I will shut down the entire forum!!

What famous rock star personality did I just sound like? 10 points to the first one who can guess it!

Hmm, Dave Mustaine? :D

So that makes us Winds fans what... breezies?

Sadly I'm not in a position to vote on such a poll. I do own multiple releases from all artists except for Andy. I was going to purchase your solo album, but everytime something causes me to reconsider. Once I do hear more from Mr. Winter I feel I will be more educated to make my decision.

George said:
Sadly I'm not in a position to vote on such a poll. I do own multiple releases from all artists except for Andy. I was going to purchase your solo album, but everytime something causes me to reconsider. Once I do hear more from Mr. Winter I feel I will be more educated to make my decision.

Hi George, welcome to the Winds forum! I think if you are considering buying some of my work, the best place to start would perhaps be to check out "The Imaginary Direction of Time" by Winds, or maybe even one of the Age of Silence records.

If you like classical music I think you might enjoy my solo record as well, but in fairness I think it's more for dedicated fans and people who are already familiar with my previous work, rather than for someone who is just checking out my work for the very first time. It's a very different cd for those who are expecting something related to metal, which it is not in the slightest way.

But of course, if you are a fan of classical music then it's a different matter, and it might be as good a place to start as any even though classical music does have its influence in all the work I do regardless of which band we're talking about. Another thing to keep in mind is that the solo CD is quite short, so if you start out with one of the full lengths of one of my bands instead of my solo cd, you will at least get more minutes of music per dollar and cent.

Also to let you know, The End is having a special on all my releases right now: http://shopping.theendrecords.com/
The new Age of Silence EP and the Andy Winter EP - both for $13.50 (separately they are $8.00 and $7.50)
Winds and Age of Silence full lengths are both sold at $11 each.

All prices include shipping too, so if you were considering to buy any of these anyway,
then taking advantage of the current special will save you some $$$

Regards,
Andy

Hey thanks for the lengthy post. I should have made my post a bit more clearer. I have purchased "The Imaginary Direction of Time", and I loved it. I was going to purchase some more of your work before I gave an educated choice. I'll have to look into that special they are having. I tried to buy your solo record from my local store but they seemed to not know anything about it. Which was strange since they usually carry all of The End Records releases.

That might be because his solo release was limited to 1000 copies (I think). Order it off the End mail order if you can because it's pretty cool!

this is such an impossible poll
you named my 3 favorite keyboardists.

and I really can't decide who's my favorite, cause they all have such a different style.

ok:

1) (in no specific order) Andy, Lazare, Sverd.
2) Jordan Ruddes

:p