Kick And Bass

Noumenon

Obsidian Productions
Jul 24, 2005
Uppsala, Sweden
www.obsidianproductions.se
I've been looking into the bass and kick problem I usually have. The competition between them.

I read somewhere here that I should find the resonant freq of the kick and eq that out from the bass.

Now from this pic, am I wrong saying that the res.freq. is at 65hz ?
resfreq.gif

Now, should I get that 65hz area out completly from the bass? How big would you set the Q?

Thanx for any help

I like this question. The kick is always around there, 62-65, isn't it? I would have a medium-high Q around there cutting out the bass from 40-90. Then give a smaller boost with a lower Q on the bass around 120-150 area. Then again, I still haven't achieved a good bass sound yet!!

good old sans amp, tends to help if you have that running through a set up and mic it up..get the best of both worlds i find

Genius Gone Insane said:
I like this question. The kick is always around there, 62-65, isn't it? I would have a medium-high Q around there cutting out the bass from 40-90. Then give a smaller boost with a lower Q on the bass around 120-150 area. Then again, I still haven't achieved a good bass sound yet!!

I totally agree with this. They both need their own space. And DON'T SCOOP THE BASS IN THE MIDDLE. In fact, the best way to get the bass heard is to give it a lot of mids. If you just wan't you bass to add weight to your guitars, then, scoop it out!.

Just my opinion.

Noumenon:

If that picture you submited is an anlisys of the whole mix, I recommend you to work a lot more on the mid range. The mid range is the most important part of sound to our ears (is where all the fundamental frequencies of most instruments live).

Just in case you didn't know. Not being arrogant or anything.;)

"I totally agree with this. They both need their own space. And DON'T SCOOP THE BASS IN THE MIDDLE. In fact, the best way to get the bass heard is to give it a lot of mids. If you just wan't you bass to add weight to your guitars, then, scoop it out!."

+1

in addition to that, your bass should have a slight distortion going on, in order to cut through even better. i remember andy mentioning this once. don't go for a real fuzz, just a slight boost to dirty up the signal a bit.
alex webster (cannibal corpse) also talks about this in the making of the wretched spawn bonus dvd. he says sometimes he uses a sansamp to add a slight overdrive to his sound, which helps recreating some of the intensity of live - he states that when playing live, the bass is always on the verge of breaking up, regardless how clean you set it.

Gomez said:
Noumenon:

If that picture you submited is an anlisys of the whole mix, I recommend you to work a lot more on the mid range. The mid range is the most important part of sound to our ears (is where all the fundamental frequencies of most instruments live).

Just in case you didn't know. Not being arrogant or anything.;)
if it was the whole mix he'd have a much worse problem than the mids seeing as how, according to the title bar on the graphic of the PAZ plug-in, it's a mono instance.

James Murphy said:
if it was the whole mix he'd have a much worse problem than the mids seeing as how, according to the title bar on the graphic of the PAZ plug-in, it's a mono instance.

Well spotted Mr. Murphy.

You won't believe how many metal mixes that look/sound pretty much like that I have received for mastering. It used to annoy me in the past, but now that I got my Manley M.P. eq I actually love working on mid scooped material. Nothing I've used before sculpt mids like that box.

Anyway... I once recorded bass through one of those horrible tiny Marshall "lunch box" amps plus an ampeg SVT2. The Marshall thing sounded do nasty, it made a great sound when combined with the ampeg.

Experiment.