Kick-Ass Big Band Stuff!!

Tormentor

'Bugrit!'
Apr 17, 2001
Shinra Inc. - Sweden
Visit site
Well well well, how are ya, my friends?

There's always something each day that surprises you.
Today I heard John Gregory Orchestra for the first time.
It was their version of The Streets Of San Fransisco.
My world stopped and I think my jaw hit my kneecaps in surprise. It kicked so much ass I'm still in shock. ;)
A drummer who've taken cocain and dope at the same time (he's all over the place), a bassplayer who can't decide if he playes a lead instrument or not, a funky wha-wha guitar, and a supercool sax-section...tight, swinging...and then a couple of trumpet players who's totally on acid. Conclusion: A kick ass, supergroovin' masterpiece!! :D

I got a few Q's for ya'll, if you please:

So...
1. Where can I find this "The Detectives" CD with John Gregory Orchestra performing this song? Not on Amazon anyway.

2. Is this the original orchestra as heard on the TV-Series?
I'm not so sure about that. This is too super swinging and too wild, sort of.

This is what it looks like, but I can't buy it there: :(

http://www.blaxploitation.com/s_150.html

Thanks for reading! ;)

Hi Tormentor,

I listen to a lot of jazz, and some of that is very similar to Big Band - Duke Ellington and the like. Never heard of this John Gregory Orchestra. I'll have to check them out.

Jazz players are often on a different level of playing from hair rockers.

Hi rabies!

Interesting label ya got there...*Hair Rockers* :D

I haven't either ever heard of this John Gregory Orchestra, but that is no wonder since they weren't famous within the Big-Band Jazz genre. You see, JGO were specialized in recording "easy listening" stuff, mostly TV theme songs for series like Kojak, The Cannon, Columbo and Streets of San Fransisco (all found on the "The Detectives" album).

Personally, I'm more of a Count Basie fan than a 'Duke' Ellington ditto, but what the heck... ;)

Cheers! :)

Speaking of TV themes, does either one of you know who performed the 'Matlock' series theme?
I've been hearing it whole summer now, and it has some funky bass-lines! :D