Kick Drum Treatment...

drew_drummer

Dancefap
Sep 7, 2008
London, UK
The way I like to process a kick. Lets say you've got Kick In and Kick Out mic's... I'll assume you're either using software, or have got your micing technique down - this thread isn't for how to mic a kick-drum, but how to process it once you have mic'd it.

Here's what I do; it may be obvious, and it may even be wrong but it's the way I do it. I use it with BFD2, but also real kicks when I get the chance.

Take the signals two mic signals, and bus them - KickGrp. Then send them to another two busses - KickDist and KickComp.

With KickGrp; I like to do a little general EQ work and light compression. The compression is really just to tame the peaks - find your loudest peak in your kick track, and squash it all by about 3db. This just helps to even out everything. With the EQ, I'll usually put a little resonant bump around 3khz, to help bring out the click. Using more of the KickIn mic also helps with this.

With KickDist... I like to use some distortion; but only on the higher frequencies. I will use the built in BFD2 distortion module to distort freqs above 1khz; but not too much.. you only want a light crunch, as opposed to all out insane gain amounts. Think of it as putting a blues overdrive tone on a kick drum.

I'll then put a low-pass filter on this. Just to bring down some of the harshness of the distortion - not too much though. Try a 24pole, rather than a 48 pole.. and set it to where you can just hear it making an impact.. and then move it back up a touch.

With KickComp... I like to have some extreme parallel compression. Since this is a send bus, not an insert, I sometimes like to feed in just a touch of KickDist as well...

But I'll have some really snappy BusComp in BFD2. With the attack high, and the release fast... with the threshold basically always triggering; even on soft hits. I'll then use some make-up gain to bring it back to an audible level.

This gives you three signals; the original bus. A distorted kick. And a compressed kick. Mix to taste.

Anyway... that's roughly the process I follow. It might inspire something for you... or it might just bore you. Thought I'd type it up since I'm bored!

I pretty much do the same thing except I've never run a separate overdrive channel, I usually just drive the ext-Kick channel and then compress it.

One thing I like to do with real bass drum tracks if you are limited to just one microphone is duplicate the bass drum track and stick a low pass filter on one cutting out everything from about 1kHz and above. Then I stick a little presence peak anywhere from 80Hz to 150Hz depending on how tight you want the thump. Then I heavily compress that track and lightly compress the other one while giving it a presence peak around 4kHz to 7kHz and probably cut out some boxyness from 400Hz to 800Hz depending.

Kickb52 - EQ, Compression
KickOut - Compression, EQ

Both sent to Bus1 (KickBus) - Further EQ ? / Compression

Then that's sent to Bus 6 which is MainDrumBus.
If I have a sample track - It'll be a copy of the Kickb52 track, so will go to Bus1.

I rarely distort the kick, I also don't add any reverb.

I tend to compress more than EQ if I can help it; I like to retain as much of the natural sound of the kick as possible. Here is a little snippet of some EJB with processing. Kick has some light distortion on the upper frequencies, from 238hz - 1.38khz, to be specific. It then gets parallel compressed with BFD2's BusComp. Interestingly, the PC track also has a bit of distortion on it - I forgot that I did that in this particular instance.

Uses Evil Joe Baressi's pack for BFD2 - and now Superior 2 if you so wish ;)

May not be to everyone's taste, but I like it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/630473/Master.mp3

I usually have a hump at 80 Hz (or around that area) with a falloff at 50, that hump at 80 is at a pretty narrow Q. I usually cut in the 260-360 Hz area and boost where the click is and use a steep drop off for the highs. Then if I need more click, I'll drop another eq after that one and put a shelf on at 3-5k to get the click to come out some.

Compression to taste. Usually a fairly fast attack (I want to say somewhere like 30-50ms) with the release set higher at around 1s or so, maybe less maybe more. I only like to shave like 3-5db off the signal.