Killswitch - My Mark IV (My Curse)

Melb_shredder

Orpheus: Melodic Death
Mar 9, 2008
Melbourne
Hey guys!
Moved into a new house just a few months back and haven't had a chance to mic up my Mark IV and Recto Cab properly since getting new gear.

*New monitors, firebox, new comp and mic pre too*

So I downloaded the GH My Curse multitracks and thought I'd replace the guitars in the mix with my own!

Hopefully you like it, I think the Mark IV is TOO tight for this music personally. I tried to make it sound more gritty and recto-esque, but no substitute, and I realise these are completely different beasts.

But hopefully this helps the Mark IV love too!

Cheers guys.
*Mark IV is only rhythm guitars, not clean*

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/306055/Killswitch - My Mark IV.mp3

I'm not sure if dry is what I'm thinking, but it's just that inherent tight almost surgical tone sometimes about the Mark IV that just suits it to more riff/ single note intense music. You can't really chugga lug all day with it because it just doesn't have that massiveness to it. Personally I love that quality, and in a perfect world, the Mark IV would be sitting on top of a recto so I could quadtrack them all day.... mmmmm

I thought I just didn't like my tone because of my inexperience, but I guess the Mark IV just wont get that low mid graininess so desired in the current state of music.

It's weird how I can notice similarities in the tone in your clip, and in my recordings of my Mark IV combo. I think the amp lacks a "tubby" feeling. It's good tone, just different. I always thought it was not enough gain, but the gain is clearly there.

Adding a tube screamer doesnt really help lol, but I find the amp really takes well to super low tunings and floppy strings!

Actually, there is a tube screamer on this. The level is the only thing worth noting, its at about 1 oclock. Just gives it that push in the right spot to sit well. The gain is about 6 -7 and so is the drive. Maybe 7 on drive.

I think the whole low tuning is because the Mark IV is so tight, really low tunings just make it moderately lose to the point where it sound like any other amp! It's just SO tight lol!

But again, for playing the melodeath and thrash stuff I do in my bands, it's absolutely perfect and every single note is clear as day!

+ I'm usually in Drop B, and that helps with the IV

Yeah definitely too tight. The whole Killswitch thing seems to be built around really tubby/fat guitars. I think the lack of an 85 and Mahogany might not be helping either.

Other than that though it's a cool test. Interesting to hear how the Mark IV handles such things. It's not a bad tone by any means, just not the same as the original!

Yeah that's true Ermz. Possibly, I will use Joao's guitar for a test, EMG's and the ESP body etc with Mahogany neck through should be a good test!

Still, I find for my uses, majorly in Orpheus, this amp defnitely has what it will take to get my gears going when Album time comes around. I know most of you guys here love that huge low mid recto growl etc, but for our music I'm glad the tone is tight etc because most of our stuff isn't geared towards the heavy chuggin, just the tight riffage and single note harmony stuff haha!

I'm thinking I'll get a Recto at some point for recording some multipurpose stuff though. Just nice to have both I think :)

Chris: don't discount peoples opinions of the MKIV. While there may be some people who will bash it there are also some who love it just as much as you do.

It's one of my constant sources of GAS.

Sounds good, just too tight as you said.
Try your hand at nailing some of the Dream Theater tones that were done on the Mark IV, I reckon you might be able to do it.

@Neb. Yeah don't worry dude, no ones opinion will make me dislike the Mark IV in the slightest. IMO, it's the greatest amp ever created, so don't worry lol!

@Petrovski. Yeah I know I can nail the dream theater tones, of that I'm sure, but I don't want that. I did this test because I just want to test the capabilities of the amp, the DT tone has been done to death!

I will need to try again soon with Mahogany and Active pickups!

Cheers.
Chris