King Crimson recommendations?

Belligerent

Greekus Urungus
Mar 15, 2006
The Low Low, IL
I am recently getting into their music but all I own so far is Court of The Crimson King. Their discography is enough to give you a headache so which is their best-worst albums etc.
Which album is too "weird"?
or
Which is GOOD Prog? (that's what I'm looking for)

I am afraid this is rather off-topic, but...

First of all - the band was disbanded and reformed a few times in the past. The only constant member has been Robert Fripp. It's his band actually...or rather his musical alter-ego. The band played different music in different 'eras'. For the very beginning I would recommend the 'Red' album - the most representative for their early style. I love the whole album but the last track - 'Starless' is a masterpiece. Check it out!

As for the rest of their discography...Their music changed drastically in the early 80s. The so called "colour" albums (Discipline, Beat, Three of a Perfect Pair) are, hmm, controversial but also very interesting. They feature a lot of guitar synthesisers, odd meters and interlocking rhythms. Try 'Discipline'. And rather avoid 'Beat'.

Their later albums include even more electronics and continue to explore rhythmic and harmonical boundaries. Their latest record - 'The Power To Believe' is excellent. Also try 'The ConstruKction of Light' - the title track is simply amazing. You should also give a chance to 'Eye Wides Open' DVD - marvellous!

BTW - there are numerous compilation aimed at the beginner, i.e. - 'Cirkus -The Young Person's Guide to King Crimson Live' or 'The 21st Century Guide to King Crimson'. Check them out. If you're more into electronica, try Robert Fripp's solo albums (Soundscapes) or collaborations with Brian Eno. If you want something rally weird - try 'Projeckts'.

Hope this helps. And hello everybody!

Red's my personal favourite. I'm not really into their newer stuff but their first few albums are prog essentials. By their first few I mean the 70's albums and tcotck.

If you want good eighties prog you should check out Marillion or Yes, Yes aged better imo.