King Crimson

outerone

Alchemy of the Sorcerer
Feb 9, 2006
San Francisco
I know I know I know, Im getting into this band really late but better now than never.

Ive known about the band for a long time but just never got around to purchasing a record. So I got the first album "In the Court of..." and love it!!! My favorite track being "Epitaph"

So I want to continue and wanted know which of their albums I should get next? Considering I love the tracks Epitaph for its haunting beautiful melodies (very Opethian) and the epic rocking track "In the court of the crimson king", whats next...?

Most people will tell you probably to go for "Red", but i didnt connect to it as well as to In The Court... great album by the way... loved it.

Anything you buy would be good. They have not done a bad album. After you get some more of their albums make sure you get the ProjecKts stuff...very unbelievable bizarre awesome other world...

In the Court/Red/Discipline are the holy trinity as far as i'm concerned

also larks' tongues in aspic is really greatz

Thanks people!! So either Red, Poseidon or Discipline will be my next album....

Good to know that their entire catalog is great as I look forward to many good purchases then. I just wasnt sure if all of their stuff would be good because I read some articles about them online and they said Kings music sometimes gets really weird and hard to get into. So given that my least favorite track on In The Court is the middle track with all the random notes played in a really experimental way. Dont get me wrong I appreciate experimental but the songs like Epitaph are just mind blowing to me.

Opeth should cover Epitaph!!

I'd say you could just follow the discography because their music evolves, Discipline for example is great but really different...

The 70's albums:
# In the Court of the Crimson King (1969) (a classic!! must have)
# In the Wake of Poseidon (1970) (the same but with a bit less of magic)
# Lizard (1970) (really nice)
# Islands (1971) (nice too)
# Larks' Tongues in Aspic (1973) (must have!!)
# Starless and Bible Black (1974) (one of my personal favourite)
# Red (1974) (another must have, Bill Bruford rules!!)

On Discipline KC was aiming for a more mechanical, rythmic sound, and the band succeeded fucking greatly because it is a 10/10 album. It even sounds slightly like Talking Heads in parts.