• Pharoah

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

Prismatic Sphere

We Carouse
Jul 18, 2002
In A Bowl Of Chili
www.lp.org
Given the recent talk about the band's current musical direction I thought I'd take two "heavier" songs from two "heavy" albums and see which one stands up. Personally I strongly prefer "Pharoah" to "King Of Terrors" because you get a wider representation of the vast range of the band. They are definitely more in their element on "Pharoah", the verses are very melodic and the middle section is just gorgeous, ripping, and fucking cathartic as hell. "King Of Terrors" as MJR put it is just a metal song, which is fine, but what can I say, I'm a prog whore.:cool:

Personally I wouldn't consider either of those the heaviest on their album. I think the better question would be Inferno vs Of Sins and Shadows. Anyway, I picked King of Terrors.

"King of Terrors" by quite a large margin. Brutal vocals in the verses... a soaring and catchy chorus... and a mind-shredding bridge/solo section.

I voted for "Pharaoh", simply because it's more fun to play on bass.

Personally, I don't like either one very much, though. KoT is okay, but "Pharoah" is (along with "The Witching Hour") the weakest track on DWoT.

That's a tough choice, both songs are incredible!
But i will have to go with Pharaoh, i think it has more "feel" than King of Terrors. (Wich blows me away every time though)

Darkside_of_Aquarius said:
"Pharoah" is (along with "The Witching Hour") the weakest track on DWoT.

I wouldn't say a weak track. They just aren't so good as the rest of the album. I voted King of Terrors!

"King of Terrors"!!!!
headbob.gif

These two songs show the difference between the old heavy Symphony X songs and the new ones. I prefer Pharaoh, as I prefer their old work rather than Odyssey (except for the first album). But don't get me wrong, I said I prefer their old stuff, but I love Odyssey, It still keeps a lot of their characteristics and the new ones are also cool.

Anyway, you have to agree that they did this "different" album just to get more fans at home (The USA).

viking1065 said:
king of terrors because sound quality is better but chorus in pharaoh is awesome

I agree entirely. The musical change into the chorus of Pharaoh is awesome! I love the chorus in this song too. I like King of Terrors, but the chorus is more simplistic. I like the story in Pharaoh better too. I think the idea of enacting a curse on the tomb robbers of the Pyramids is just awesome!

I voted for Pharaoh. I don't know how any SyX fan cannot like this song!

scanner313 said:
I agree entirely. The musical change into the chorus of Pharaoh is awesome! I love the chorus in this song too. I like King of Terrors, but the chorus is more simplistic. I like the story in Pharaoh better too. I think the idea of enacting a curse on the tomb robbers of the Pyramids is just awesome!

I voted for Pharaoh. I don't know how any SyX fan cannot like this song!

hmm.. me thinks it's the most horrible thing Symphony X has ever done. It's still A-class material though. I'd still give it a 7.

and there will be no more dallying with the King of Terrors. I voted KoT.

I like Pharoah, but also agree it's among the weakest songs on TDWOT.