Korg X5 ; big deal?

Kochon

Fuck.
May 25, 2007
Montréal
www.ahhahh.com
Hey guys I'm having a nice deal on the inturnetz, a Korg X5 Keyboard with manual and stuff for only 350 Canadian dollars. I was wondering if it is a nice choice for a beginner/intermediate like me. I'm reading reviews and it's saying very nice opinions about it.

I know Janne uses it and thats mostly why I searched for that specific keyboard and why I'm asking here if it's worth the cash.

Hmm, maybe the keyboard players from CoBot can answer that. I know that Kevin and Joonas play the keyboard, so they might have a better opinion than I do BUT, from the reviews I saw, I say why not?

A quick google shows its usually for sale around $500 used, am I right?
As long as its good condition I'd say its good, but I don't know too much about keyboards :p

^Of course, and Janne uses it :) so when I'll have I'll be like orgasmic at every key touched thinking maybe Janne is doing the same shit that I'm doing now with the same Keyboard.. OMFG

now good night

Janne has been known to not care about what keyboard he uses, apparently.

unlike guitars, keyboards are a more manufactured computer/midi sound so...

The keyboard is essentially a MIDI controller, so any keyboard can have great tone.. You just need the right patches/effects for it.

I've never understood the concept behind patches, do you import them for the computer? I'm not a keyboardist, just curious. :lol:

I've never understood the concept behind patches, do you import them for the computer? I'm not a keyboardist, just curious. :lol:

i think its like a virtual sound set. a patch tells the keyboard how to sound basically. like i'd have separate patches for an organ sound, a grand piano sound, etc., all complete with custom equalizations(?) etc. i think. so don't quote me :p

Exactly. Listen to Michael Pinella's sound on any Symphony X album.. It would be impossible to achieve that using default keyboard sounds, so he just gets pedals/patches/misc external devices to get his desired tone.

For the guitarist, think of it as if you just got a Marshall and realized how much the default tone sucks, so you pretty much have to go out and buy pedals and EQs to make it sound decent.

I just have a Midi Keyboard, and use the presets on the more complex VST programs.

amascre.jpg

Don't even know where to start on something like that.

My friend makes his own effects all the time in Fruity Loops Studio 7 all the time. He knows what all the little knobs and buttons mean :p.

For the X5 it's a real good deal, it wooth about 700, and if you comes with the suitcase, go for it!

As for the sounds and patches and everything, you can by some external device (or another keyboard) that you plug your keyboard in, and then plug it into an amp or whatever and you use your keyboard to change to sound of the external device.

There's some keyboard (every recent one can do this) that you can import the sound into your keyboard (you generally have like a certain number of sound premade, and like 127 sound space that you can create)

creating a sound is waaaayyy more complicated, it's near impossible to do for an intermediate keyboardist, I think even some of the greatest keyboardist we know can't do that, but there's many things you can do with a patch already existing like, for a basis, changing the envelope.
It means:
-Attack: When you it the notes, what time will it take to the patch to reach its... real sound. It's more or less like a Fade in thing. (At 0, (like piano or hapsichord or bells etc), the sound will be heard exactly when you it the note)
-Decay: Once the patch as reach is real sound, what will the patch do? If you turn it to max, the patch will sound exactly the same will you have your fingers on the note (except if you have an Aftertouch option)
-Release: Well, after you release the note, will the sound continue or not?

After that, you can play mixing some patch or had other effect that's becoming more complicated. (like Filter LFO, Cutoff, Resonance, Oscilliation, Modulation etc)

For the X5 it's a real good deal, it wooth about 700, and if you comes with the suitcase, go for it!

As for the sounds and patches and everything, you can by some external device (or another keyboard) that you plug your keyboard in, and then plug it into an amp or whatever and you use your keyboard to change to sound of the external device.

There's some keyboard (every recent one can do this) that you can import the sound into your keyboard (you generally have like a certain number of sound premade, and like 127 sound space that you can create)

creating a sound is waaaayyy more complicated, it's near impossible to do for an intermediate keyboardist, I think even some of the greatest keyboardist we know can't do that, but there's many things you can do with a patch already existing like, for a basis, changing the envelope.
It means:
-Attack: When you it the notes, what time will it take to the patch to reach its... real sound. It's more or less like a Fade in thing. (At 0, (like piano or hapsichord or bells etc), the sound will be heard exactly when you it the note)
-Decay: Once the patch as reach is real sound, what will the patch do? If you turn it to max, the patch will sound exactly the same will you have your fingers on the note (except if you have an Aftertouch option)
-Release: Well, after you release the note, will the sound continue or not?

After that, you can play mixing some patch or had other effect that's becoming more complicated. (like Filter LFO, Cutoff, Resonance, Oscilliation, Modulation etc)

Thank you that was what i was looking for

Exactly. Listen to Michael Pinella's sound on any Symphony X album.. It would be impossible to achieve that using default keyboard sounds, so he just gets pedals/patches/misc external devices to get his desired tone.

For the guitarist, think of it as if you just got a Marshall and realized how much the default tone sucks, so you pretty much have to go out and buy pedals and EQs to make it sound decent.

i liken them to the different channels/effects on a guitar amp. clean vs. dirty, gain level, EQ knobs, presence, reverb etc etc.