Korog - Live In Studio (demo)

Perkele

Myself
Aug 27, 2002
In Hell
Korog - Live In Studio (demo)

576_1.jpg

Korog is a Hungarian band formed in 1995, but the first time I'd heard of them was last year when they sent their latest demo Live In Studio to me. As you may guess, I haven't heard their previous stuff, so I can't compare this demo to their other material and I can't tell you how much have they changed - if they changed at all.

The four songs on Live In Studio were recorded in December 2001 and from the first listening it sounds like a noisy, chaotic mess. More listening and patient attention is required to this demo in order to find and follow the complexity of their music. But this complexity disintegrates the songs. They built them up with so many changes, and different themes have been put after each other, that many will find it unlistenable. You can get lost easily in it. Honestly, you only need to get used to this kind of music and then you will not understand why others are not able to find it appreciable. As I mentioned many times before in case of bands who play similar music, it takes time. I mean you should listen to it more times with interest and don't try it as a background music. To define their style we may say they play compound extreme music.

Bands have only two alternatives to make themselves more outstanding and identifiable: to use some unusual intruments or to have a characteristic vocalist. The latter applies to Korog, where Attila Csihar (Tormentor, Aborym) stands behind the microphone. By his first snarling in the song 'Worshipping Current' it's already easy to recognize him. I don't mean the band would be lesser without him, but what would be more proper to an extreme band than an extreme vocalist, and he certainly meets this expectation. The vocals they represent here could fit into any industrial band. In one song it reminds of Ministry, but all the time it's distorted, effected.

As I see it, they should use more melody in their music, melodies that would make connection among the many parts their songs are built of. But people who like this kind of music will find it interesting anyway.

1. Worshipping Current
2. Humanised
3. Beats Of Nihil
4. Gate

Playing time: 13:09

Korog
korog@korog.hu