__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Reth – Demo 2005
Self-released – Demo – 2005
By Russell Garwood

reth.jpg

Britain’s Reth formed in 2000, and five years later brought forth this offering. With a new album on the horizon through Christmas Eve Records, this demo serves as a good - if short - introduction to the band's sound. The music is technical, unremitting grind; tight guitars show occasional melody, and allow for sparse cleaner tones. The blasting drums are as varied, precise and insanely fast as the music, under which the bass is surprisingly prominent. This is all topped off with furious growling, in an altogether extreme and unforgiving release. The two tracks also show occasional slower, sludgy passages, creating enough variation to keep everything interesting. The production is of a standard you would expect from a demo; occasionally murky it nevertheless allows all the instruments to shine through.

This proves a good debut effort. Reth have shown not only instrumental prowess, but solid song writing and welcome originality for such a young band. I look forward to hearing their forthcoming debut full-length, as with a little development the band could be onto something special.

7/10

Official Reth Website

hey mate, cheers for that ace review..
this is the new band that i am in, these 2 songs were recorded before i joined them, but i play them live with them..
the website is down at the moment, needs renewing but we are a bit skint at the minute, so check this page out..
http://www.myspace.com/reth
it has 4 songs to listen to include stuff from this demo, an older song and a newer song..
ace!

oh by the way, if anyone wants to see reth, we've got a few leeds dates coming up as well..
sep23 - leeds fenton - w/ the assailant, microsleeper and more
oct 13 - leeds brudenell social - w/5 other bands as part of a john peel tribute night...
nov 18 - leeds joseph's well - w/melt banana, khanate
nov 19 - leeds joseph's well - w/deranged, amputated, skinned
come and say hello
:)