Krankentein and what?

AgeOfGeburah

Jun 3, 2009
Enköping, Sweden
Hi guys!

I recently realised I had an economy, so I immediately started looking for new guitar gear to fuck it all up :headbang:

The result (Get ready)

KranK Krankenstein Amp
KranK Cab
Gibson Explorer Gothic

For the price of ~3250$ !!!

For me that was an great deal, and the Amp and Cab is working like a charm, just came out of service before I got it. And it has not been played that much really, the previous owners are Soilwork and they only used it on one album(Think it was Stabbing The Drama or an earlier album)

Anyway, I've seen that theres a bunch of you guys using KranK amps, so what is your experience, gear-wise. What is the key to get an KranK amp to make an crushing tone?

Pedals etc

Thought I might ask you guys and perhaps save a couple trips to test gear :)

Thanks alot!

I'm not familiar with Kranks, but it's awesome that you got em from Soilwork!

Thanks, still missing some elements to get the tone though :)

throw away the cab, you will never need it.

Oh? I actually perfer this cab over most cabs I've tested, it's so solid and does not leak like some Marshall Cabs tend to do. And I like the shimmering natural distortion that is in the texas heats :)

I'm currently running a krankenstein through a mesa 4x12. Maxon od808 in between my guitar and input and a t.c. electronics g-system in the loop.

Let me know if you have any questions about it! Nice buy!:headbang:

Yeah. I haven't done any beta testing for Krank amps, but for Clawfinger Productions and Meshuggah Inc. still, the results are the same. With an overdrive pedal (no drive/gain, tone at will, and volume at max) the amps sound s really good. The low mid that's typical for the Kranks are there but that's all good. Note that I've been working with the + versions, which means bigger transformers (and we all know how powerful a transformer can be, muahahaha). ;)

Yeah. I haven't done any beta testing for Krank amps, but for Clawfinger Productions and Meshuggah Inc. still, the results are the same. With an overdrive pedal (no drive/gain, tone at will, and volume at max) the amps sound s really good. The low mid that's typical for the Kranks are there but that's all good. Note that I've been working with the + versions, which means bigger transformers (and we all know how powerful a transformer can be, muahahaha). ;)

how do you think about the sweep knob?
while I like the idea and while it give some more versatility for rocktones I found that there's hardly any use for it in modern metal...it's pretty much always on 3 here...more would be too fizzy and less to muddy.
the presence can also be very dangerous (stein+).

on thing that needed some getting used to s that although the amp has tons of gain it "feels" like there's only very little gain/saturation when playing through it.
Well, perhaps I have to retube mine:)

how do you think about the sweep knob?
while I like the idea and while it give some more versatility for rocktones I found that there's hardly any use for it in modern metal...it's pretty much always on 3 here...more would be too fizzy and less to muddy.
the presence can also be very dangerous (stein+).

on thing that needed some getting used to s that although the amp has tons of gain it "feels" like there's only very little gain/saturation when playing through it.
Well, perhaps I have to retube mine:)

It's not just you... it's how these amps are. But they can sound fantastic blended with something more "holy grail" like a 5150 or Dual Rec, as I'm sure you know.

Yeah, I love the stein especially for blending.
I don'tget the same thickness/density Andy is getting from the Rev1 though. don't know if that's mainly because of Andy or because of the Rev just being "creamier" than the Stein (which to me always sounds like a brutal yelling and barking).

Yeah, I love the stein especially for blending.
I don'tget the same thickness/density Andy is getting from the Rev1 though. don't know if that's mainly because of Andy or because of the Rev just being "creamier" than the Stein (which to me always sounds like a brutal yelling and barking).

I guess one thing to remember about the stein is that it was designed to work with the dimebucker, which is not exactly a standard sounding pickup at all