11. In League With Satan

12. Outro

Label: Century Media Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.krisiun.com.br/
GRADE:
8.5/10

The new overlords of Brazilian death metal have returned with what may be their most brutal effort to date. Before we get started, let's get one issue out of the way. The production on Works Of Carnage is infinitely better than the sterile, clinical, overtly clean job that was given to Ageless Venomous, its predecessor. Don't get me wrong, the drums still sound as unreal as ever, but that's due to the insanely gifted Max Kolesne and not the typrewriter sound that he had last time around.

The songs are still the usual blast-a-thons ala MORBID ANGEL, etc. that fans and detractors of KRISIUN have become accustomed to. That being said, there does seem to be a cohesiveness to the material that in the past has been lacking from time to time. Couple that with the fact that the songs are shorter than the last few releases and you have the winning ingredients for a brutal death metal fan's wet dream. Tracks like opener "Thorns Of Heaven" and the title track are the longest cuts on here, coming in at the three and a half minute mark or barely over. The rest are between two and three minutes, quick exercises in attack and efficiency.

Guitarist Moyses Kolesne is still the Brazilian version of Trey Azagthoth and Eddie Van Halen thrown into a blender, poured into a cup, swallowed and then regurgitated, resembling a mass of Rhoads, Schuldiner, King and Hanneman all at once. Having seen this band live a few times, it never ceases to amaze me how fast and clean this guy's fingers move up and down the fretboard. If you hate solos and riff after pummeling riff, then stay the hell away from Works Of Carnage, you will only succeed in losing yourself in a sea of twisted, demented brutality. (The midsection of "Wolfen Tyranny" blows my mind every time!)

Vocalist/bassist Alex Carmargo wretches forth his blackened venomous bile, adding yet another layer upon the din of chaos. Nice cover of VENOM's "In League With Satan," as well. As far as songs go, a lot of the material blends together, thus making it hard to distinguish sometimes. However, with repeated listens (not for the weak) it all sinks in. Personally, I prefer to take in KRISIUN cds as a whole, it's like a test in stamina... Can you keep up?

PJ