Krisiun - Ageless Venomous

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Krisiun - Ageless Venomous
Century Media - 2001
By Rodrigo

The latest onslaught of brutal death metal by Krisiun is upon us. Ageless Venomous is their latest album and it is everything you have come to expect from the Brazilian band. All the ingredients are present, the crushing yet melodic guitars of Moyses Kolesne, the harsh and guttural singing of Alex Camargo, and the intense and unrelenting drumming of Max Kolesne. Ageless Venomous is not for the weak hearted or those who can’t stand death metal. To simply put it Ageless Venomous is an album that will pound you into submission and have you screaming for mercy.

The first immediate aspect I noticed about Ageless Venomous is the weird sound of the double bass drums. It almost sounds like Max is kicking a can and it doesn’t really sound that powerful. The title track of the album relies heavily on the double bass in the beginning and it is the song where you can really understand what I am talking about. At first it was completely annoying but after repeated listens it stopped bothering me.

"Perpetuation" is the fist song and without a doubt the best song in Ageless Venomous. It has a short "tribal" type beginning with a flute in the background. But as soon as that over intense drumming and fast and heavy guitars break loose! There are some of the best riffs in this song and the one I enjoy the most is from 1:40 to 2:00. The most impressive thing about this song is the constant changes in the music that keep you guessing what the band will do next. "Dawn of Flagellation" is the next song and it is also a great intense song. It also has a long musical intro that just really gets you pumped out when the singing starts. Moyses really belts out some monstrous riffing and they almost sound like a buzz saw going right through your ears. Alex holds his own with some extreme harsh singing through out the song and especially during the chorus. As I mentioned before "Ageless Venomous" starts off with Max going nuts with the bass drums and he maintains that same frantic pace throughout the song. This song is a bit more melodic than other songs in the album but that doesn’t mean it loses any of its intensity.

There are two instrumentals found in Ageless Venomous, "Serpents Specters" and " Diableros". The latter features Moyses with an acoustic guitar and Max on percussion. Just imagine what a Krisun song would sound unplugged and you get the idea behind this instrumental. "Serpents Specters" features really awesome musicianship and really makes an impression to the skills of the band. It is hard to believe that they are self-taught.

Yet, there comes a point when all the speed, brutality and technical proficiency can get tedious and boring. Some of the songs begin to start sounding alike and it is hard to distinguish one from the other. This really happens on the second half of the album with songs like "Ravenous Hordes", Saviour’s Blood" and "Sepulchral Oath".

Despite this negative comment, Ageless Venomous is a great album suited for every death metal fan out there. There are some truly great moments and it would be a shame if you missed out on this album. Things are looking good for Krisiun right now, they will be touring this August in North America, later this year in Europe and this past June Century Media released two of their older albums Apocalytpic Revelation and Black Force Domain. This is truly a great time for Krisiun.

You can read the original review here . Post your comments below!

This is album is descent but i think they tried too hard to be technial....Krisiun was never a super technical band. just listen to black force domain. its all about extremity and brutality. on the new one, some of that seems missing to try and be technical. the title track is the perfect example.

the trigger sounds on the drums are kinda crappy but not that bad. the acoustic instrumental is almost laughable.

have you heard the new rebaelliun, annihilation? they have upped the level for braziliun death metal. they may have surpassed Krisiun.

THIS ALBUM WAS DISSAPOINTING TO ME AT FIRST. THE MAIN PROBLEM I HAD WITH IT WAS THE DRUM SOUND, BUT AFTER A WHILE (OR IF YOU REALLY CRANK THE FUCKING STEREO) IT STARTS TO SOUND MORE HEAVY. THE OTHER PROBLEM I HAVE IS THAT THE SOUND IS NOT FULL ENOUGH. THERE IS ALMOST TOO MUCH STARTING AND STOPPING DURING THE SONGS. THIS MAKE'S IT HARD TO REALLY GET INTO THEM. BUT STILL, IT FUCKING RULES. THE MORE YOU LISTEN TO IT, THE MORE IT GROWS ON YOU. IT JUST NEVER TOTALLY BLOWS YOU AWAY HOW "APOCALYPTIC REVELATION" OR "CONQUERORS OF ARMAGEDDON" DO. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THOUGH: IF YOUR A FAN OF THE BAND, YOU WILL LIKE THIS ALBUM, BUT IF YOUR NEW TO THE BAND, PICK UP ONE OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED ALBUMS.

here's me showing some ignorance to my metal brethren so pls be kind... would some explain to me what "triggered" drums are? i know i must be hearing 'em all the time but i'm not sure what the technical def is...

thanks (and that's the last time you'll ever see a weakness in me!) :lol:

Well, a trigger is used as a replacement of the usual microphones. They're put in the core of the drum and does not use the original sound the drum produces. It senses the beat and produces a new artificial one. Some bands use it because it's a lot easier to control the sound when mixing and stuff.:loco:

A trigger is a pad that attaches to the drum rim. when you hit the drum, it picks up the signal and sends an electronic signal to a brain, which is basically a drum machine. you can pick what sound you want for each drum. you can make a kick sound like a tiangle if you wanted to. its easier to get a consistent sound out of them, esp for really fast players who may let up the pressure when they turn on the speed. i think they are necessary live to get a good powerful kick sound, at least for metal. Trym, from emperor/zyklon, triggers his whole kit, live and in teh studio. sounds awesome...

they dont alwasy replace the mic. for example, on the new krisiun, the kicks are miced and triggered and then the two are mixed togehter. i read that the rest of the drums are natural (aka miced). good examples of triggers to get a feel for their sound would be morbid angel, last three emperor records, zyklon, myrkskog, brave murder day by katatonia (kicks are triggered) new dimmu borgir. others of course...the last krisiun record

This Album Really Blow me away, I know what triggered drums are but that in't what I like this album so much, they recently Played in Chile and they sound MORE BRUTAL than they sound on studio

My favorite track is Sepulchral Oath :headbang:

Marvelous!!!!!!

In general, a good album. Not extraordinary, but descent. The only thing that's bothering me a little bit is the drums. Fast but not it sounds to "empty" and the drummer always drums the same. There are better death metal records out there.

I like the cd very much!
The drum sound was a big problem for me in
the beginning as well, but I got used with it.

I hope they´ll N E V E R do this again though, because
it ruins alot for the material.